Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summertime Fun

Summertime Fun

After much anticipation the time was upon us for our first trek into the spatsizi for stone sheep. My hunting partner and good friend had blown out his knee and would not be able to handle the long trek into the park.

As much as I wanted to do this hunt I was not equipped to do it alone on such short planning. I knew that I had more holidays in September and was putting together plans to do just that when news of the klappan blockade again kiboshed yet another trip.

After the dissapointment faded, I realized that the rugged back country is no place to be when your not 100% mentally and physically prepared to handle the challenges ahead.

I'm comfortable with my decision to not attempt this trip alone or with a partner that was not 100 % and with the efforts and planning that I put forth for a second attempt into the park only to have them extinguished by the blockade.

As one trip ended with out beggining another quickly took shape.

My partner and I decided that since we had already booked holidays and hired replacement workers that a hunting we had to go. But where? We decided that the Queen Charlotte Islands would be a good starting place. After a little research and some good advice from some Islanders, Thank You guys, the plan was put into motion.

This was to be a relaxing trip with maybe a little deer hunting. Well with a good buddy and decent weather that is exactly what it was.

What a blast, hunting til 10 pm and sleeping in..haha just to do it again for 5 days.

The hardest part of this hunt was keeping the meat cool. This was solved by not shooting till the last few days of the trip and lots of ice.

There is no better eating deer than a Charlotte Blacktail.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Summertime Fun

Hells teeth, you guys don't mess around eh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

that looks like squirrel hunting ... but easier....

So you guys were a head hunter tribe???
    What a lineup of $hitbucks! Is that as big as they come up there???
    How much meat per deer, boneless???
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Talk about some bone! Good on you guys! How many deer are up in them parts? Looks fairly abundant, did either of you tag out?

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    So you guys were a head hunter tribe???
    What a lineup of $hitbucks! Is that as big as they come up there???
    How much meat per deer, boneless???

Not sure what a head hunter tribe is, but in August only bucks are open so collecting heads is important

$hitbucks, probably, but I never found a good recipe for antlers, even the ones in velvet.

They do come bigger, alot bigger in fact, but local knowledge, time and some luck play a big factor in harvesting larger deer. Of course the larger bucks we saw were at nite and well past shooting light.

To be honest I dont know how much meat was on each deer. Maybe 40 lbs. give or take.

This trip was about relaxing and spending time with good buddies not the pressure or worries about harvesting a monster deer.

How does the bag limit actually work there? I've heard 15 deer per year and heard others say you still have to abide by the aggregate limit for the province of 3 deer. Do these island deer go on a different licence or tag?

Hermen

good on you. Sounds like you accomplished your goals. Also sounds like it would be a fun trip.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

sounds like a fun camping trip, i just don't see why kill so many little guys ... Aren't, say 2, enough ... pass up the rest while looking for a brute?

Quote Originally Posted by derek p View Post
    Not sure what a head hunter tribe is, but in August only bucks are open so collecting heads is important

$hitbucks, probably, but I never found a good recipe for antlers, even the ones in velvet.

They do come bigger, alot bigger in fact, but local knowledge, time and some luck play a big factor in harvesting larger deer. Of course the larger bucks we saw were at nite and well past shooting light.

To be honest I dont know how much meat was on each deer. Maybe 40 lbs. give or take.

This trip was about relaxing and spending time with good buddies not the pressure or worries about harvesting a monster deer.
    I suppose I should have included smilies . I was only poking a little, never seen such a lineup of lil guys like that before!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!