Thread: 7B: Can't find the moose? Might be looking in the wrong spot

7B: Can't find the moose? Might be looking in the wrong spot

I had no idea moose would inhabit such high mountain peaks.
    This photo is was taken NW of Muncho Lake early/mid Oct during the prime of hunting season.
    I know moose get spooked, but to head for the higher hills like this? We're hunting in swamps, and instead they are in sheep country????

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mooseonmountain2.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	2326  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7B: Can't find the moose? Might be looking in the wrong spot

Wow, that is a cool and rare pic! Ive heard of guys finding moose sheds in the alpine??? Ive found moose sheds at well over 5000'.
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Not terribly unusual. Critters do some funny things. It's fun to get collar data and run it through a mapping program. Got to wonder why they do some of the things they do. I saw some goat data where a nanny sat on pretty much one rock for the better part of two months, then booked it across a mtn and back again.

Great photo! Reminded me of something I had never seen before. While looking for Stones sheep, we saw 2 figures on the top of a high mountain ridge with the binos. Wayyyy above treeline! They appeared to be on nothing more that a razor thin ridge.
    Once the spotter was on them, confirmed them to be moose.
    Checked the area out the next day, and found the reason the moose were as high as they were....wolf sign all over!
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

we're got an area up north of ft st james we hunt,right up high at the tree line theres a rocky mountain top maybe 600 metres higher than the rest of the mountain . A few year ago we were watching the cut block at the base of this rocky peak and watched a big dry cow come across in front of us and proceed to climb up a gravel slide three quarts of the way up this mountain,steep as hell, to a small ledge and bed down.would never have believed it if i hadnt seen it myself.south faceing mountain and full of huge black bears as well.

I was hunting goats a few years back and was walking along a trail about 2 meters from the edge of the mountain and what do I see when I look down along the edge moose crap and many piles all along the trail. Not what I had expected to see up there.
    It is easier to get forgivness than it is permission.

It has been pointed out to us that the proper number to consider in the event of violent aggression is "911"- if you are of the rabbit people. Others will do better to place their faith in the number "1911".

Great, now Mountain Moose are going to be on LEH next year thanks to you guys!!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

years ago on a mining job on the Bonnet Plumb River,Yukon I saw a full Bull Moose Skeleton On a rock outcropping almost at the top of the mountain, up at least 6000-7000 feet. can't remeber the bosses name on the job but he has a picture hanging in his office as it is a well known picture. I will look thru my pics as I may have a copy.

some body been on google earth seen that pic there

thats smart moose , nobody wants to pack from there!