Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Sheep

Stone Sheep

I,ll be getting my stonesheep from the taxidermy on friday and boy i just cant wait i take some pictures and post it.Any other sheep hunters with sheep mounts id love to see them SLYFOX.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stone Sheep

SlyFox,

My dad shot the following Ram (on right) and has it mounted life size. It's pretty cool. The ram measured 43". These were the 1st and 3rd Stone Rams the year they were taken.

I only have a pic of the rams right now I do have some of it mounted somewhere but I'll have to dig them out.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

youngfellla Guest

Awesome stone sheep! Especially the one on the right.

Real nice rams real big to congrats.

Great Rams! Any legal ram is a good ram. i'll post mine up soon. Not a titan by any means. Only 37" but anyone who's sheep hunted knows how hard it is to get.

Yes they are big sheep...

The one on the left is actually the biggest.

My old man (on right) guided stone sheep among other things for my grandpa for over 20 years. (112 Rams Or Something)

Any legal ram is a good ram...? I don't know about that... Not when you can only shoot one once every 3 years... I am going for a hog or nothing and I have no problem coming home with nothing. It's an excuse to go again

Last year was my first "real" sheep hunt for myself we got off to a rocky start after dumping one of our pack horses off a cliff but we did get on Rams and I passed on a group of 7 rams (2 legal) because there wasn't anything in the bunch I wanted to hang on my wall. We were about 70 yards away from them for well over an hour just watching them.

Sheep are truly an amazing animal. Can't wait to go again this Aug.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

youngfellla Guest

Seeing those pics makes me wish it was Aug 1st, and I was standing on top of a mountain glassing some sheep.

I think what hitch means by any legal ram is a good one is the amount of time & hard work put into a sheep hunt, that just being able to get one is a trophy, no matter how big it is.

YoungFella,

I hear ya... They are tough little *******s to hunt. That's why I won't just shoot any "legal" ram. I am after a hog to make all the hard work totally worth while.

If you spot a nice legal ram (not a hog) but nice just take note of where you found him and come back the next year. If someone else didn't shoot him... He'll be there (or very very close) and he'll have another year of growth on him.

Thats my take anyways

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

I think that any legal ram is a trophy for your first one now that i have a stone the next one would have to be bigger.

That's my story too. my next will be bigger. I just a can't go every year anyhow. With a 20 hrs drive and a pretty long jet boat ride and 10 days in the mountains, a legal ram is a pretty good trophy. Non-residents pay $20,000.00 to go for a hunt. A lot of time, money and effort usually goes into somebody harvesting a legal ram. I, too would and hopefully will hang a hawg on my wall. I've been on a number of sheep hunts and only takin one but had the best trips regardless.