Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alberta Pronghorn Hunter Host Adventure

Alberta Pronghorn Hunter Host Adventure

Alberta Pronghorn Hunter Host Adventure.

Well since there has not been a bunch of Antelope pics on here i thought i would share my adventure with ya'all.

The adventure began a little over a year ago when my good friend Greg Peet and i were sitting in his Boat on the Columbia River fishing for Rainbow's that were feeding on the surface. Greg moved back to Trail after living and working in Red Deer for years. Greg pops the question, Hey Phil, being a BC resident i need to apply for Antelope with an Alberta resident in order to boost my priority. Better than that Greg i will put you in with me and we will Hunt Antelope together if drawn!!
    August rolls around this year and my WINRELM results says Trophy Antelope...SUCCESFUL !

I get on the phone and inform Greg he better get practiced running at 60 mph because we are going on a hunt for his first ever Pronghorn Antelope.
    We agree to meet at camp Saturday Night after their long drive from Trail BC.
    I headed out Saturday at noon just as excited as them.Along the drive i watched for Antelope and hopefully one of those Prairie Bulls i have heard about will show himself, when low and behold i encountered this nice 6 point Bull.

After some pics and video footage i carried on to Hanna to get some fuel and look for Donny Bears camp there, but he was out scouting like an educated Antelope hunter should.

I arrived at camp parked in the shade of the big Cottonwoods waiting for Greg and His Father, Austin to arrive. Around 7:30 that evening the guy's arrive just before the storm hit. We sought refuge under the big trees but when they started blowing over we pulled out into the field . Hail damage can be repaired ,one of those humungus trees landing on us could end the trip right there.

After the storm subsided we set the wall tent up in the dark and light rain shower. Once settled in we had some vittles a drink of rum and got a restless sleep with the tarp flapping,coyotes howling and that lonely Bull Elk calling along the river valley.

We spent Sunday exploring the country and went to see if Hank the Tank was still around from last Tuesday's scout. Sure enough he was right in same spot but never provided me a close photo opportunity but he is still absolutely the biggest Antelope i have ever seen.!!

Monday opener i had Hank in the crosshairs at 348 yards when a vehicle on the road comes to a screaching halt in the gravel and his 2 Does are up and running and so is he. Hank did the Houdini in the rolling hills and i never saw him again.

After passing on numerous Bucks we spot a nice heavy horned Buck but he is up and on the run. We pursued this Buck trying to head him off and i Missed my first shot in the howling wind. Again we spot him and he's headed South so we get way ahead and hoof it across the rolling landscape only to come to an abrupt stop when a pocket holding 12 Does and another smaller Buck. Were patiently waiting their move when my Buck heads right into their group. Again they are headed South and again I miss when my Buck turns just before my shot. Further South we go and they head West this time . Now their a km away and we head back North, then West awaiting their next move. We see Austin in the truck and he is waving to head West we crouch and run SW and await their arrival. Were laying in the tall prairie grass when they start coming over the rise ,here comes my Buck and Whop i hit him !! High fives exchanged and some whoops let out. We head for the crest there,he lays,wait a minute, this is not the Big Buck i saw earlier,he pulls the Ground shrinkage ,the Bigger Buck slipped away but I am still happy.
    We spend the next 2 hours reliving the hunt and get my Buck photographed,cleaned and caped.

Were off again and scout and Greg turns down many good Bucks.On the way back to camp we drool over some big Whitetail and Mule Bucks and a Brute of a 7x7 Bull Elk that showed now fear. It was to dusk for photo's but his rack is engrained in our memories.
    Day 2 were up and down the road after a hot Tip from another hunter that told us of a spot along the river valley on EID land bordering posted land.
    We spot some great Bucks on the posted land and as we continued on the foot access only area Greg spots his Buck with a Doe. This time we hunker down and think this one out. Hmm what are they going to do ??
    Along comes a truck a km or so away and they spook the Antelope toward us .Greg sets out the bipod and when the Buck slows to a slow walk his 280 rings out and his 250 yd shot connects with a Whop. Again the high fives,whooping and hollering we walk up Greg's fine looking Antelope.
    Austin joins us a short while later and we relive the adventure.Austin was able to watch both kills through the spotting scope. We take photo's and tag,clean and cape Greg's Buck.
    Sadly our successful Hunter Hosted Antelope Hunt comes to an end.

We head back break camp and were off to home to visit Marco at Sugar Creek and drop off Greg's Buck for mounting.

Greg and Austin are 2 of the finest gentleman i have ever hunted with and i cant wait to Host Austin for first ever hunt and Greg and I again for ours.
    Thank's guy's and your welcome around my camp anytime.

Springer

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alberta Pronghorn Hunter Host Adventure

Nice looking speed goat! I should apply with you next time
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

great hunt and well done story thanks for the post. i have heard that if you aren't sucessful in the draw and guided hunt is around $3000 do you know if that is true? thanks

Nice read/ photos, thanks Phil! Couple more years, hopefully, for myself. Bridger, check out Silver Sage Outfitters' website. 3 day rifle 'lope hunt - $4200. They have donated 'lope hunts at the WSSOBC banquet the last couple years. Taking some big antelope those boys!
    Last edited by whitetailsheds; 10-23-2009 at 08:35 AM.
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

great photos

Nice story and pics. Gee next year I should be priority 2 for speed goats! Guess who I'm calling for guiding?

guest Guest

Very Very Cool and Congrats, Pronghorn,that's one of the many hunts on my .......

BUCKET LIST

Nice animal and great experience.

Nice pics too.

CT

What a great opportunity.
    Good on ya! and beautiful Antelope.

Real 'heart shaped' horns. Will make a beautiful mount.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Yup Antelope hunting is the most fun you can have with your clothes on thats for sure!
    Mountainman you'll have to be priority 6 at least to get drawn but I would love to guide you!!
    Met some BC guys,well Guy Scott and another fella that were guided by Silver Sage for the price quoted. My biggest surprise was they donated the meat because their guide said it was not very edible !! Not true,actually its my favourite wild game. Silver sage do take Big Antelope and put on many many miles scouting for their clients.
    I am very disappointed on the size of my goat after turning down Bigger and not getting the BIG one I had scouted.He'll be a European mount though.
    If you have Alberta Buddies that hunt they can put 2 out of province hunters on their draw forms ,then @ 6 years down the road you can go on a very affordable Antelope Hunt.

Cheers!