Thread: deer grunts and other noises

deer grunts and other noises

Wondering what sounds a deer buck makes. Grunted back and forth with a buck till he approached. I could not see him just heard him. He approached quickly and it sound like he was circling my position. Then I heard what sounded like a snarl( and I mean mad angry snarl), twice very close on my right, about 3-5 seconds apart. Then silence. Could that have been the deer catching my scent? Bear catching both our scents? Anybody else heard deer make sounds that you wouldn't think came from a buck? Hunted same area for a couple days after and only saw bull moose.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: deer grunts and other noises

never heard a deer do that...only snort for agression. i am thinking you wouldn't have heard it circling if it was a cat. my two cents is a bear or a wolf but both i think would try to stay down wind from you so as not to alert the prey. did the noise come from up or down wind?

Re: deer grunts and other noises

What little wind there was was coming at my face and snarl was to my right about 40 ft. away. Did see old cat tracks in the area, but , they looked small, maybe 2.5 inches wide.