Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heading for the marsh

Heading for the marsh

Heading out to cowichan bay this moring to see if I can manage to wrestle up a few ducks before the season ends. I'll post my results when I get back.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Heading for the marsh

good luck I usually go in there evey year but havent made it out this year

Thanks hutch, the weather is supposed to be pretty crappy the next couple of days and the birds are all sitting in the flooded fields of somenose marsh so it might end up being a drive in the boat for the dog and I eating sandwiches on the beach.

OK off I go, have a great day everyone!

Marc.

BCWF

Good luck Marc. I'm going to try the Nanaimo Estuary next couple of days. Tides have been high though. That place works best a mid tide.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I am disappointd in myself this year for not going! Take lots of pics so I can live through you vicariously!!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Hey JB..do you hunt over decoys or is it pass shooting over on the estuary? Good luck when you go.
    Blacktailaholic

Thumbs up Re: Heading for the marsh

good luck Marc
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Islandeer. We throw out a small set and do very little calling just enough to get there attention.

Well I only saw maybe a half dozen ducks worth shooting al morning andl the rest were buffleheads. That place is infested with them. Most of the mallards, pintails, and widgeons must be in the flooded fields. I did see some golden eyes, megansers and a couple of bluebills. No blue bills within shooting range or I would have taken a shot. I took a shot at a buffle head to give my dog some action but somehow I managed to miss. the shot was all round him but he never even flinched. I had a different choke in my gun from hunting grouse this fall so I'm blaming it on that.

Sorry no pictures. I didn't even eat my lunch, I just packed up and came home. I was there for 5 hours and no ducks so I packed it in. Nice to only live 5 minutes away. Might give it another try later in the week once the tide changes. I did a it of scouting to see where the mallards were hanging out. Not many but like someoen said the tide wasn't right. On the way home I saw a mess of mallards in a flooded field.

Marc.

Marc.

BCWF

Tell us the truth, you just wanted to get back online!!!! Ducks be damned!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!