Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Interesting Day

An Interesting Day

I went out Goose Hunting with my brother and another two guys this morning. As the day progressed we saw many flocks but they were all on a mission to some other unknown destination. Lots of other hunters out by the sounds of things and they were having a little better success, but that is the way it goes sometimes. Later in the morning I caught a glimpse of movement in the semi hilly area. As the object came closer I noticed it was a coyote. I told everybody not to make any noise and I started trying to do a call using your hand that I saw on a predator hunting video. It seemed to catch the coyote's attention but it was very cautious. As it moved around our spread it eventually got close enough and made a mad dash for the bushes. I smacked it with a BBB 12gauge 3'' at ~50 yards at full run and it went down like a tonne of crap. We managed to tag 4 ducks as well, so it was definitely a good day waterfowl hunting!
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: An Interesting Day

excellent! good job calling in the yote
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Re: An Interesting Day

Please correct me if i'm wrong but dont the regs say #1 buck or larger for coyotes.I could be wrong and please correct me if i'am as i'am not a shot size expert.

Arrow Re: An Interesting Day

here we go
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by bsa30-06
    Please correct me if i'm wrong but dont the regs say #1 buck or larger for coyotes.I could be wrong and please correct me if i'am as i'am not a shot size expert.
    I don't have the regs in front of me, but it may be they have lumped coyotes in with the other big game for the shot size.

If they have, the reg really deons't make any sense.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Believe me i'am not trying to cause problems , or start trouble just thought i would point it out.(pg.16 other small game includes coyote)

as i read dirtys story and for some reason i have bubbles voice in my head. it wouldnt matter if he killed it with a potatoe gun. i hate those stupid dogs.and bsa you are right, but i would rather use the 1996 regs instead.

Lightbulb Re: An Interesting Day

as a note, the most popular coyote shotgun load sold in the US is HeviShot 'Dead Coyote' load featuring approx 50 'T' size hevishot pellets

the #1 buck rule is ******ed, a 30 lb thinskinned yotie doesnt need a deer load
    Last edited by todbartell; 01-02-2006 at 05:22 PM.

I just looked in the regs and BSA30-06 is right it says see notes #1 wich I quote:

shotgun must have a bore size of 20 gauge or larger and use shells of shot size No.1 buck or larger.
    If BSA hadn't brought the subject up I would have never know the difference and made the same mistake. I guess the reason for the larger shot would be to ensure a quick death with max penetration.

No Big deal, we all learned something today and that's what this site is all about. It just goes to show you that when you think you know all the in's and outs of the hunting regulations something else comes up that you didn't know about.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

hey bird its the # 1 buck rule, and i also don't agree with it. but who said politicians were smart. hey marc qiut buttin in