Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kamloops chukar

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Kamloops chukar

Heading up that way either 8/9th of October or 13/14th. I'd like to get my green as grass 11 month old GSP on to some birds. Was thinking about the west end of Kamloops Lake / Savona area. Good choice or waste of time? (for the area- remains to be seen about the dog )

thanks,
    RC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kamloops chukar

Chukar = devil bird. I don't know too much about bird dogs, but a green as grass pup probably isn't the best dog for the hardest upland game bird bc has to offer.

I'm going to introduce him to some ruffies in the Okanagan as well. He's got drive and a good nose so we'll see.

I was just hunting sheep there and didn't see a damn bird. Lotsa cactus in there so it'd be pretty hard on a dog.

You got to have boots on that dog or you won"t be there 2 minutes.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

+1 on the boots for your pup. Check out the east end of the lake, the rocky hillside all along the railroad tracks has produced chukars for me in the past. I haven't hunted them for quite a while since my friends Brittany passed.

Also along the tracks down river of Ashcroft produced for us, but some places you will need permission.

Best of luck they are lots of fun. If you can't kick up any chukars along the lake, head up the hillside into the trees for some blues
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Having lived up that way years ago I know all to well about cactus! Dog boots are going.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I hit the Savona area 3 times a year for the "devil birds" and have a great time. Lots of cacti and I mean lots! Tough on man and dog, I talked to the Ministry Biologist there and he sent me to the Walhachin area and accross from Juniper beach lots for birds less cacti! This year i'm towing a boat and trying some new areas and camping. good luck!
    Scottish by birth, British by law,
    Highlander by the grace of God"
    Anon

Hey I am hunting around the area for upland too,anybody got any tips on good places to try for upland?

how about between Kamloops and Kelowna?

thanks for any info,or if anyone wants to connect that would be great!

I have a young dog too.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    +1 on the boots for your pup. Check out the east end of the lake, the rocky hillside all along the railroad tracks has produced chukars for me in the past. I haven't hunted them for quite a while since my friends Brittany passed.

Also along the tracks down river of Ashcroft produced for us, but some places you will need permission.

Best of luck they are lots of fun. If you can't kick up any chukars along the lake, head up the hillside into the trees for some blues
    Hi:

I know there is not much time left in the already short season bu t if you would like to shoot over my champion shorthair you are welcome. I know a couple of places but you probly know others.

cheers,

bob
    250 491 1795
    212 7031 Kelowna