Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alberta wild boar hunting

Alberta wild boar hunting

Would like some accurate,real time, real experience, actual boots-on-the ground info. on hunting alberta wild boar.
    Not looking for a canned hunt, rather a true fair chase gig.
    Where to go, when, accommodations....the usual stuff that hunts are planned around.
    Pix would be great and thanks all.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alberta wild boar hunting

They are raised on farms restricted by fences as per law in Alberta so no chance of not getting a canned hunt. No wild Boars either if they escape farmers are to contact F & W ASAP or face fines and hunters got and kill them all. Same goes for Buffalo. Escapes are treated like the plague and are shot on sight. This is to protect the natural wildlife surroundings. I have been on one of those round ups for Buffalo, farmers claim a break out insurance pays and the hunters get to shot them all. Nice meat!
    They are Russian Boar and charge about $400.00 to shoot them and they are tough, aim straight.
    “Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

i was just talkin to my cousin and his wife not to long ago and where they live there is a bounty on a bunch of them..
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

1899 Guest

There are always some that escape, but they are few and far between as most get shot within a day or two of escaping. For a true wild hunt you need to go to a place like this:

The picture was taken in the former Yugoslavia.

Seems 80% of people hunt in Ab(not really that many), but everyone within driving distance of where the bounties are/were has looked for them.
    Occassionally I hear of someone getting one, but I personally think the "wild ones" were pretty much turned into bacon before the rest of us heard about it. Not that there may not be some, but unless you're living in the area I doubt you'd be successfull.

There are two places I've heard of that offer hunts, one is I believe around Mayerthorpe, and if I'm not mistaken they have only a 1/4 section and offer bow or rented crossbow hunts. Just do a search for Alberta Boar Hunting, should come up.
    The other I heard of once, but can't track it down. I heard it was somewhere in E central Ab, and offered hunts with everything from a spear(thats right, a spear!) to a rifle. Unfortunately I didn't get a name.

1899 Guest

You are not thinking of the one by Carrot Creek (near Niton Junction) are you? That one was run by a fantastic family on a 3600 acre piece of land. Unfortunately they sold it some time ago and I doubt there is any hunting left.

The one in mayerthrope starts their hunts at around $600 but I believe it may be bow only. I think they have an ad in the regs
    Train hard....hunt easy

the one in mayerthorpe is Hog Wild Specialties
    run by Earl and Debbie Hagman
    bowhunting for boars

tollfree in Canada 1-888-668-9453

Also in the regs is an ad by Savage Encounters
    403-722-3435
    www.savageencounters.com
    Last edited by Blacktail; 09-26-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

The only guys I met in Alberta that shot the boars that got loose had farmers that would phone them and tell them when they showed up in there property. If you want to hunt them I think you are better of going to a fenced hunt.

I'm originally from Edmonton hunt the area where the boars are.Families been hunting this area for almost 30 yrs.The bounty on them is from the county of Mayerthorpe 50 bucks for a pair of ears the pigs are a pest.The numbers are not high in this area anymore been thinned out.All the land out there is private land.Miss hunting back home moose, deer ,elk ,trophy mule and white tail deer and chickens oh and yeah bacon.

wow $400 to shoot those damn things lol mine were all free.Some of the land family hunts is next to a Buffalo pen seen many deer and elk trapped inside.
    Last edited by MikeH; 10-02-2009 at 11:07 PM.