Thread: Turkey hunting

Cool Turkey hunting

Why is it that the hunting reg's( region 4) states that you can only use shots in the fall...but 22's and center fire rifles are okay in the spring to shoot
    Turkeys?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey hunting

I have no clue why it says "Bow or SHOT Season". There are a few things in the regulation that make little sense.

Having said that, you're better off hunting turkeys with a shotgun anyway. Especially in the fall where the hunting can be very though. Why make it more difficult using a bow or a rifle.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by Angel a View Post
    Why is it that the hunting reg's( region 4) states that you can only use shots in the fall...but 22's and center fire rifles are okay in the spring to shoot
    Turkeys?

Thanks
    Its never OK to use center fire rifles....just rimfire.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by SSSSter View Post
    Its never OK to use center fire rifles....just rimfire.

I have been wondering the exact same thing, about shot only during the fall, but rifles ok for the spring. Upon looking at the regs, it now makes less sense. I can use my 338 mag for grouse, and ptarmigan any time they are open, yet I cant use it for turkeys.

Some times you just gotta shake your head.
    "Society will forever judge hunters by their compassion for the animals they hunt." Author, Jim Slinsky

A women never looks so good as when she comes in wet and dirty from hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by RMG View Post
    I have been wondering the exact same thing, about shot only during the fall, but rifles ok for the spring. Upon looking at the regs, it now makes less sense. I can use my 338 mag for grouse, and ptarmigan any time they are open, yet I cant use it for turkeys.

Some times you just gotta shake your head.
    I can understand the principle behind the centerfire thing....would be pretty easy to overharvest them, in theory. I don't understand why the hyper velocity rimfires are allowed if there is a concern with centerfires though.....17 HMR or 22 WRM take birds out beyond 100 yards.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss