Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: limb savers

limb savers

Has anyone put limb savers on a excalabur equinox? Do they really make limbs last longer? I tried string leeches and they lasted about ten shoots and then they where torn to to sherds. I would like my crossbow to last forever because I am still sleeping in my truck over buying it.
    Are we having fun yet?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: limb savers

limb savers work on dampening sound ... I dont think they help make things last any longer ... but they certainly couldnt hurt ...

Leeches are crap period ... Bowjax is a far more better product because they wrap around the string instead of being inserted into the string, String Jax are split , you wrap them around the string and cinch em in place with a small zip-tie
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

As Bowzone_Mikey pointed out Limb-Savers only dampen sound. I use Limb-Savers on all my bows, including crossbow, in addition to the rubber cat whiskers on the strings and sometimes otter or beaver fur. These things last for ever even on the crossbow. With that combiation I can reduce the noice of a compound to barely audible and on the crossbow to about 40%.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Thank you!!!
    Are we having fun yet?

Bow Walker Guest

Limbsavers, Bo jax, and the like are vibration dampeners. They also have the added benefit of damping some of the sound - but their primary function is to dampen the vibration at the shot. Because they dampen vibration (and some sound) Limbsavers, and Bo Jaxs do help to lengthen the life of limbs, strings, and such.

JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Limbsavers, Bo jax, and the like are vibration dampeners. They also have the added benefit of damping some of the sound - but their primary function is to dampen the vibration at the shot. Because they dampen vibration (and some sound) Limbsavers, and Bo Jaxs do help to lengthen the life of limbs, strings, and such.

JMHO.
    YUP. What he said Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    ... but their primary function is to dampen the vibration at the shot.
    Vibration equals sound. The more a bow vibrates the more noise it makes. With that Limb-Saver and other similar products are foremost manufactured to reduce sound. I was a bit involved with the creation of the Limb-Saver and all we ever talked about was to reduce sound not to prolong the life the bow limbs. The bow manufacturer makes sure that the limbs can put up with any reasonable vibration by choosing the right combination of materials in the manufacturing off the bow limbs and riser.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Dan and Mike ... not that I wanna get into a P'ing match ... but the products stated dont dampen Vibes ... they absorb Vibes ...and therefore sound....

Vibe Dampeners are not correctly named ... like the grip of the bow ... you dont actually grip it (do you?)

Think about the STS and the many Versions of that product that has popped onto the market in the last few years .... Stopped the Vibe of the string,,, stop alot of noise ... I dont think anyone expects their string to last longer with a string stop do they? I dont know .. I change strings religiously

I am at work right now and cant access Facebook but when I get home I will see if I can find a pic of a friend of mine with his newest Hoyt and the string is just crazy vibes .... his Girlfriend clicked the shutter just right to get the string just after release ... He hasnt put on a stopper onto it because that is his paper bow and a paper has never jumped the string on him yet
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Dan and Mike ... not that I wanna get into a P'ing match ... but the products stated dont dampen Vibes ... they absorb Vibes ...and therefore sound....

Vibe Dampeners are not correctly named ... like the grip of the bow ... you dont actually grip it (do you?)

Think about the STS and the many Versions of that product that has popped onto the market in the last few years .... Stopped the Vibe of the string,,, stop alot of noise ... I dont think anyone expects their string to last longer with a string stop do they? I dont know .. I change strings religiously

I am at work right now and cant access Facebook but when I get home I will see if I can find a pic of a friend of mine with his newest Hoyt and the string is just crazy vibes .... his Girlfriend clicked the shutter just right to get the string just after release ... He hasnt put on a stopper onto it because that is his paper bow and a paper has never jumped the string on him yet
    BZM......at my age I'd lose any P'ing match that I was stupid enuff to enter!.

....and yeah, I do choke it. Just like the 'monkey' !

.....strings act like wet noodles if you catch them right after the shot. It's amazing how they (and the cables, and limbs) wobble and vibrate at the shot. There is a tremendous amount of energy being released and not all of it is transfered to the arrow. The balance has to go somewhere. Along with vibration and noise there is a measurable amount of heat from all that energy being released (providing you have the right measuring instruments). Ain't physics wonderful?

yes ... yes Physics is wonderfull

I have always wondered if a Limbsaver was constructed of the same material it is now ... but instead of being solid it has a sponge like crossection instead of a solid one

the AR risers had holes and cut outs to better absorb the vibes and therefore quiet it down (and drop a ton of weight) ....

I wonder how well (longjectivity wise) those would stand up to the current design?
    A true Archery Nut