Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off to the Yukon

Off to the Yukon

So, i'm off to the Yukon today for the hunting season. First year wrangling. I opted not to take my 300 wsm with me. One less thing to worry about. Was planning on get a 45-70 to take with me instead, but funding for that never worked out. Just looking for input from people who have been up there for a whole season in hunting camp, and wondering what they think of not taking a firearm? I was told by the outfitter it's optional, and that some take a gun and some don't. feedback?

Note: I'm just trying to set my mind at ease on my decision.....after watching the cabelas video a few hundred times of the sow charging

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Off to the Yukon

Better to have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have it...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Never having been that far north or for that long I'm no authority, BUT on the two fly in trips I have done, if I were EVER to walk anywhere without my gun, the wife's uncle who used to guide in there would chew me a new one. A philosophy I've since adopted. Never go in the bush without one!!

For long term carry and scope bumping issues the guide gun is an excellent choice, I'd go into dept and get one if I were in your place.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Ask you boss what the frequency of sightings is, I bet it is low. Can go a full season without seeing a bear.
    But when you are out tramping around in the early a.m. darkness looking for horses, just make sure you are whistling or singing a song. No surprises.
    Chances are you will be loudly cursing the shitters that you can't find anyways. Good Luck

Anything can work as a 'guide gun'. Chances are it will wear out from handling befors it is shot out. .30-30 works
    Last edited by boxhitch; 07-10-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Take Your 300 Wsm, Carry It Everytime You Go More Than 50 Yds From Camp. A Gun Is A Tool Of The Trade Up Here In The Yukon. If You Don't Want To Carry Your Gun Just Stay Home With It.

Take the rifle
    You'll never see me on Hoarders , cause I cant afford that much sh_t!!

Quote Originally Posted by 325 wsm View Post
    Take Your 300 Wsm, Carry It Everytime You Go More Than 50 Yds From Camp. A Gun Is A Tool Of The Trade Up Here In The Yukon. If You Don't Want To Carry Your Gun Just Stay Home With It.
    It's not that I dont want to carry it, I was just under the impression that it wasnt a neccessity. As I understand it, I will be with the guides/hunters 100% of the time I am away from camp, and they will all have firearms. Not that I want to trust my life to some bum drunk hunter who cant hit a barn, but the outffitter made it sound as though it was an extra precaution. Maybe there's camp shotguns? He also mentioned it was optional, and that some people DO NOT bring them.

On second thought though, I am still considering taking it. Walking onto the ferry today with it could be an issue though?

Here is a link from the BC Ferries website.

Listen to the voice inside your head that keeps saying "TAKE IT!"

Firearms: Firearms may be transported under the following conditions:
    Firearms must be transported in compliance with Canadian Firearms Regulations. Firearms transported in vehicles must be unloaded, must not be visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle must be locked at all times when unattended. Foot passengers may transport firearms on board BC Ferries vessels provided the firearm is contained in an appropriate case or container and remains in the immediate care, custody and control of the owner, and is otherwise transported in compliance with the law. Foot passengers travelling on BC Ferries' northern routes between Port Hardy, Prince Rupert, mid-Coast ports and the Queen Charlotte Islands must report to the ship's officer once on board and are responsible for securing the firearm in a locker designated by the ship's officer. Passengers are not otherwise permitted to have firearms in their possession on board northern vessels.
    Last edited by Paulyman; 07-10-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

NEVER trust what an outfitter say's. Things alway's change or are different from what they tell you. Also wranglers are always out looking for horses on there own. Not trying to discourage you just trying to keep you out of the hospital. Also most hunters you will be dealing with will be competent hunters in their own right.
    which outfitter will you be wrangling for?

I would take a gun if I were you. Like 325wsm said, you'll be out tromping through the bush in the dark looking for horses, you never know when you could bump into a grizz. Chances are you won't need your gun all season, but you'll definitely want to have it in hand just in case. Quite a few bears up in that country!