Thread: shed hunting dogs

shed hunting dogs

I just got my new puppy today a bure bread border collie. I have heard that any dog can be trained to find sheds. My plan now is to just let him play with sheds, and only fetch sheds so that he will know that when he finds one he should bring it back. Does anyone have any experience with training dogs to find shed antlers? If someone could enlighten me that would be great.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: shed hunting dogs

Once he learns the sheds are "fun," start hiding them on him in advance and teach him to find them. Use a search command.
    This way he'll know his job when you're hiking around looking for them instead of being pre occupied with squirrels, deer, grouse shit etc etc (although it will take a few trips for that stuff to get old too !)
    Sounds like fun!

Kysa found this

shortly after this

and this a year before

Never trained her to do it but she always wanted it after I found one. So I'd give it to her and she just took a liking to them. Cant say she actively searches them out but when she crosses path with one she mouths it (big elk shed) or picks them up.
    Either way she's my buddy and is always with me on those hikes.
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 06-20-2009 at 09:35 AM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

No real experience, but think hiding some sheds and have the dog find them, with lot of use of the word shed and lots of praise should work.

when you hide a shed 4 the dog if he finds it get him to bring it to u and if praise isn't good enough give him his favorite treat or give him his favorite toy.. throw the ball or that type of thing.. what bts said sounds right..(make it fun)

Here's another thread on the topic.....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...d+hunting+dogs
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

thanks a lot guys for the help

Collie? Sheep herder?? Do we have to look deeper here???
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.