Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brant hunting?

Brant hunting?

I was just reading a book by Mike Crammond, who was the outdoors editor for the province in the 60s, when it was still acceptable to write about hunting and fishing in the daily press.

He mentioned brant hunting at Beach Grove spit out of driftwood blinds.

Is that the area that was wrecked to build the ferry terminal and coal port?

Anyway, do people still hunt brant? There's a 10-day season in March.

How do you do it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Brant hunting?

Brant hunting has now become almost a historical pasttime for region 2-4. There are still a few that annually do the hunt. Areas are few.

Beach grove is out of Boundry Bay, on the Tsawwassen side.

yes they still do it..
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Kyle 2005 called, they want their thread back. hahaha

Nothing like reviving a 7 yr old thread haha
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

I would have to say this is a record for revival. Can anyone think of a better one?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

For this forum I think we have a winner....there is a perennial one on the fuge about getting hair dye out of your poodle, no idea how old though....

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I was just reading a book by Mike Crammond, who was the outdoors editor for the province in the 60s, when it was still acceptable to write about hunting and fishing in the daily press.

He mentioned brant hunting at Beach Grove spit out of driftwood blinds.

Is that the area that was wrecked to build the ferry terminal and coal port?

Anyway, do people still hunt brant? There's a 10-day season in March.

How do you do it?
    Mike Cramond wrote a great series of books about hunting and fishing in BC. They are worth looking for if you happen to be in a used bookstore.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Mike Cramond wrote a great series of books about hunting and fishing in BC. They are worth looking for if you happen to be in a used bookstore.
    I agree. I have "Game bird hunting in the west", and "Big game hunting in the west" and enjoy them both.

I would love to hunt Brant, Just need one or two that's all. Anyone willing to take an old guy hunting Brants I would appreciate it very much.

Funny. I just thought I'd pose that question after reading the book 7 years ago.

I had heard about brant hunting "on the spit" somewhere before in my distant memory and also knew several people (Homer Stevens and Edgar Birch among them) who had hunted from those blinds back in the day.

It was apparently quite the culture, with people camping out in the blinds during the week to hold them for their hunting parties on the weekend.