Thread: King charles cavalier spaniel-hunting?

gr8d8b8 Guest

King charles cavalier spaniel-hunting?

Our family purchased a King Cavalier and since its a smaller part of the spaniel family I was wondering if anyone has ever trained theirs for retrieving grouse or? They seem pretty small but seems like they enjoy retrieving and she loves the water so I was thinking??? Obviously not for ducks!LOL

2. Site Sponsor

Re: King charles cavalier spaniel-hunting?

I have a friend who has two of them and they are wonderful dogs.

They are supposed to be really easy to train and I would think the only issue would be if your dog has the prey drive.
    Maybe trap a couple of pigeons and see how she reacts to them. When the season starts, shoot a a grouse and use it to play with the dog.

You'll know pretty quick if the dog will hunt.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

did you get that dog at scottsdale? I was in there today and they had a pair, pretty expensive though
    april fool in waiting

gr8d8b8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martyonthewater View Post
    did you get that dog at scottsdale? I was in there today and they had a pair, pretty expensive though
    Nope , got her from Naramata and she is really smart, takes to everything very easy and find her much easier to train than my old lab as she isn't so hyper!
    I have her retrieving a frozen grouse wing and it's working thus far, see how she goes!