Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gear for stocked lakes?

What gear for stocked lakes?

What do you find works to catch the trout in the local stocked lakes?

I took my five year old grandson out last week to Lafarge Lake and tried a bit of shrimp and some pieces of bright orange power bait suspended from a bobber and we couldn't get a thing. Tried worms too.

A lot of the older oriental guys seemed to be using something similar, but the guys catching fish were casting with some kind of lure.

One guy in a belly boat was trolling with something and catching fish too.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What gear for stocked lakes?

I fly fish there with what I call a "Casper".
    It's a little white bunny leech with a bead head and a couple strands of Krystal Flash in the short tail.
    Slays 'em.

Thank you ElkmasterC.

I don't have any fly fishing gear, but I have occasionally had a bit of success putting a fly on and just casting it out with a foam bobber.

try bottom fishing just put on a weight and about 3-4 feet leader and a small hook,with the small hook the power bait will rise off the lake bed and fish will grab it
    if hunting is a sport,I'M AN ATHLETE

Try a Weddng band (bright green)or a tiny 2 blade silver or gold spinner with a 12-16 inch trailer hook and troll them a couple feet down and a happy worm(gotta kiss it first,gives kids something to be grossed out about)A black leech pattern fly works great too in spring.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Nets! LOL J/K
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    try bottom fishing just put on a weight and about 3-4 feet leader and a small hook,with the small hook the power bait will rise off the lake bed and fish will grab it
    Tried this sunday afternoon with my 5 year old....didnt work.
    Aswell tried bobber / worm and bobber/power bait(green) that didnt work either.I'm thinkin a fly is the way to go.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

CIL wobbler always works........ By the way, whether the lake is stocked or not does not change what you use. The time of year, the time of day, sometimes even the color of your gaunch will determine if you catch fish or not.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by goatdancer View Post
    CIL wobbler always works........ By the way, whether the lake is stocked or not does not change what you use. The time of year, the time of day, sometimes even the color of your gaunch will determine if you catch fish or not.
    I knew i should have wore the blue gaunch!
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

forgot to mention that my daughter was there with us and she was walkin the shore line checking out everybodies bait, and green power bait seemed to be the bait of choice, but there was one guy using Western Family assorted fruit flavored mini marshmallows.