Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkeys with rimfires?

Turkeys with rimfires?

I see in the regulations that it is allowed but is it a good thing to try? A shot in the head would work but sounds a bit risky would a good 22 lr hollowpoint in the lungs be better? Hunting for turkeys really interests me and plan to try it hopefully in the next couple of years. I do have a 12 gauge but I'm curious about the rimfires.
    Happily married man Feb 12, 2011 .

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkeys with rimfires?

try cci stingers in a 22 lr in the head one shot and it will be dead or a 22 mag or a 17 hmr will work
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.

i use a 22 hollow, and i usually aim for the head or the neck at the body, hasnt failed me yet, in 5 hunts there has been 5 dead turkeys hit the ground in 5 shots. Mind you the furthest shot has only been about 3o yards.

one thing that was stated at the turkey course we had in Merritt was that shooting through the wing feathers was like shooting through armor. a feather was handed around and wow, those things are thick and hefty...doubt anything less then a .22 hornet would penetrate it, so yeh, you need to go for a headshot, and then you run like mad out to it and step on it's neck to keep it down. they like to get up and run away...kinda like a chicken, only with their head on!.

I see you paid attention Mr. Friendly.

I have no clue why the regulations permit hunting turkeys with a .22. Whoever decided that obviously never hunted these birds before.

A .22 is of all choices to kill a turkey the worst by far. There are countless examples of birds that got lost or wounded by .22 rifles. A shot in the lung area will be to 98% likelihood deflected by the wing feathers. A shot in the head is next to impossible because a turkey barely stands still for the second or two it takes to aim the gun at a very small target. Personally I consider the .22 absolutely useless.

Go with a shotgun and you have nothing to worry about provided you pattern the gun well and stay within a reasonable shooting distance, which is between 15 to max 30 yards.

If it absolutely has to be a .22 make sure you keep it close, no more than 25 yards, and only take frontal chest or “Texas heart shoots”.

There is a good reason why the .22 is outlawed in every American state as turkey hunting caliber.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Rimfire is suitable for upland birds and small game including coyotes. The .22 is considered a good pest management tool.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

When I lived in Creston, I tipped a few of them with a 22lr, and a 22 mag...Bang flop flop flop flop......Head shots, wing butt shots, texas heart shots (that one was a bit over 120m with a 22mag though)....Never lost one....
    Your mileage may vary....

The 22 Hornet was mentioned above but the regulations don't allow any centerfires to be used just shotguns, bows and the rimfire cartridges. Looks like if a guy has disipline and doesn't take poor shots a rimfire would work all right.

All I know is all those turkey pictures guys are starting to post are making me hungry It looks like it would be a lot of fun to hunt them.
    Happily married man Feb 12, 2011 .

Never tried one with a .22, but I will say this, they are tough birds, I seen my buddy body shoot, 2 rounds with a 12 guage 3"mag, on the run, and it didnt even slow down the turkey. Knocked feathers of both times at about 25 yards! They never seem to hold their heads still either, wouldnt reccomend a .22
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

odd questions but since turkey are upland game birds you don't need a tag for them correct? Went over the synopsis and didn't see anything about tags for them. I'm going this weekend and I want to make sure I'm all legal.
    Who Needs A Gun Ship When You Have A Pointy Stick.
    2/3 Of The Earth Is Water. Get A Boat.

South Paw Shooter and PROUD OF IT!
    South Paws of The World Unite For A Better Selections of GUNS.