Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rangefinder discrepincies

rangefinder discrepincies

Hi I just was shooting at our local outdoor range , I brought both my rangefinders and noticed that my old bushnell 400 is bang on but my brand new rx2 is off by 2 yards at 50 [52 ] and 1 yard at 40 [41] , what a piss off.
    Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: rangefinder discrepincies

Your range is not in meters?

I am pretty sure it is set up in yards. Both range finders read the same out to 30 yards

40m=43y, 50m=54y approximately. It sounds like something else is wrong. I would take it back.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Ok I did some more compareing this morning, The r-finders are only different in the 30 to 55 range, every other distance checks out, strange?
    I am going to measure off targets at our range.
    Come to think of it , I missed a deer after I ranged it last fall with my old finder, I shot high , maybe my yardage pro is reading short at those distances. I just figured I screwed up with the shot, I was using a 30yr old bow so there was quite an arc in flight.

Quote Originally Posted by westhoyt View Post
    Hi I just was shooting at our local outdoor range , I brought both my rangefinders and noticed that my old bushnell 400 is bang on but my brand new rx2 is off by 2 yards at 50 [52 ] and 1 yard at 40 [41] , what a piss off.
    Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing?
    Your problem is that you are working with a bushnell.

I had borrowed my dads 400m one and was hunting sheep last year. I was looking at some sheep across the Fraser and was trying to range the hill (white sandy slopes), with the sun glaring off it, it looked like snow. I figured it was about 350-400m and I zapped it with the RF. the first reading came back at 83m the second, third and fourth did not register. The 5th reading came back at 1840m. If I could have reached the Fraser with it, it would have gone bye-bye.

BHB

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Your problem is that you are working with a bushnell.

I had borrowed my dads 400m one and was hunting sheep last year. I was looking at some sheep across the Fraser and was trying to range the hill (white sandy slopes), with the sun glaring off it, it looked like snow. I figured it was about 350-400m and I zapped it with the RF. the first reading came back at 83m the second, third and fourth did not register. The 5th reading came back at 1840m. If I could have reached the Fraser with it, it would have gone bye-bye.

BHB
    probably screwed up by the extreme heat waves, Ive had mine messed up by fog, but otherwise flawless for about 7 years!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Bow Walker Guest

Older batteries can also screw up the readings. Heavy rain, fog (as mentioned), sun glare/heat waves, and trying to range thru underbrush. A small, unnoticed branch can bounce the light back to you and really play with your mind.

I've got a Nikon that ranges plus or minus .5 of a yard. It works very well - until the batteries are weak.

Well until I go and measure with a tape I am not sure which one is wonky, I kind of think it is the leopold that is screwy unless the targets were moved at some point in time[maybe for repair]

Why not take it back to the store you bought it from and compare it side by side some other rangefinders. Bring the bushnell too, then you will know which one is fubar'd.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."