Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First find of 09

First find of 09

Went out on the snowshoes from home today to have a look around, was looking to get a pic of a moose or a few deer. I didn't see much movment, some old tracks. As I am waking into some thick moose feed I spot this in the snow.

I am thinking wow this is a easy shed find in the 4+feet of snow we have this winter. After looking around for a min for the other side, I start to dig the snow away. I soon find out that I can't dig this out with just my hands so I take off one snowshoe and break some ice and dig away the snow. As I dig I can tell this is a little bigger than it looked at first.

I keep digging around the antler until I find the brow tine. I still can't get it to lossen up, I start to make the hole bigger and break the frozen snow with my snowshoe again. Then and after about 20 min I can move the rack now.

Now I can twist it around like a loose tooth, I am able to pull it out of the snow. Now I can smell it a bit, but there is not much left on the skull and spine.

I sure there will be many more kills this winter. I didn't see any cat or wolf tracks, but they can run on top the snow without any sled tracks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First find of 09

man that is a big buck sure is a lucky find where did u find this? hope u kept the rack!

Great way to start the season. Love the stickers. Aren't you suppose to leave them where you found them for rodent food?
    Last edited by bruin; 03-11-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Thats a find and a half, nice !
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

That's a shame,as those are some good genetics.

That's a keen eye you have there Grasshopper!!! Nice find.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Nice lookin rack! is it legal to keep it?

I really don't see the diff between a shed and a skull, but I guess they could say you shoot it and came but,jeeeeeesssee I hate the bullshit red tape !
    manglinmike

Cool Find!,nice colour

is the skull in good condition?
    could u make it into a euro mount possibly?

Nice find for sure!! If thats the buck that you wounded last season but couldnt find at the time, you can just cut an unused tag for it!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!