Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nock loop

nock loop

I got my bow yesterday, Parker phoenix 32 nice pull smooth and fast. I went today and got my release TRU ball stinger. Doing a finger pull it is nice, after I put the release on it is too much draw. Now the person I got the bow off has a nock loop that is 2.5 inches from the string.. The draw on the bow is 29. My measurements by formula are 29.2 so draw I believe is fine. Should I just replace the nock loop and try again. If so what is the shortest I can get. I was looking at some today and they were 4" or 3.75" But I don't know how small that will make my loop. What do you guys think??

2. Site Sponsor

Re: nock loop

Your loop only has to be big enough to easily accomodate your release and nock. You can also shorten your release. I prefer to have the trigger touch just ahead of the second joint of my finger. Your anchor point makes a difference as well. Best bet is to get someone who knows to help you in person.

Lots of small variables can make up an inch.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Bow Walker Guest

Those loops are generally referred to as "D" loops. Probably because of the taut bowstring and the rounded loop forming the letter "D".

As is said above - the loop need only be deep enough so the you can get your release in there easily and not interfere with the nock of the arrow.

My hands are pretty large, so I take enough loop material to easily tie the loop - but before I tighten up the finished loop I'll make it so that it lays flat to the string. I looks like it's way too short - then I insert the nose of a pair of needle-nose pliers in between the "D" part of the loop and the string, and force the pliers apart, thus tighteniong the loop knots.

This is what it looks like when finished....

Here is a collage that shows the steps in tying a D-loop. Obviously it is with a much too-heavy rope and is a huge loop - but it does demonstrate the steps involved. You can see the pliers as well.

Is it better to buy just the string and make your own or buy the premade ones. whats the differance in cost??

Bow Walker Guest

get a couple of feet of small stiff D-loop 'rope'. you won't be sorry. way cheaper to tie your own. nothing like customizing your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
    I got my bow yesterday, Parker phoenix 32 nice pull smooth and fast. I went today and got my release TRU ball stinger. Doing a finger pull it is nice, after I put the release on it is too much draw. ??
    Regardless of how long the loop is, installing one will in most cases make you feel like the draw length on your bow has increased and is now a tad to long. Like Ambush said, your loop only has to be big enough to accomdate your release. And keep in mind, it will stretch out, a bit, over time.
    You may want to shorten your release if you can do that with your particular release in part to compensate a bit or you can adjust and shorten the draw length on the bow a bit.
    In the end, the key thing is to make sure your draw length is not too long. You'll have an extremely hard time ever shooting to your potential with a bow that doesn't fit you properly.

Like Bow Walker said, buy a length of loop rope, and make your own. Once you get it the length you like, make a spare and attach it to your bow somwhere. The always seem break at the worst time!

I make mine as short as possible ... I have a set of D-loop pliers that I put over 100 pounds of tension on the setting of the loop ... it will never stretch after I set it

Gimme a call sometime and we will go over you new Bow ... you say your 5 mins away ... I have a 40 yard shot in my driveway (50 if I set my target bag up at back of shop ) ... I have thursdays and fridays off
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    I make mine as short as possible ... I have a set of D-loop pliers that I put over 100 pounds of tension on the setting of the loop ... it will never stretch after I set it

Gimme a call sometime and we will go over you new Bow ... you say your 5 mins away ... I have a 40 yard shot in my driveway (50 if I set my target bag up at back of shop ) ... I have thursdays and fridays off

I picked up what I needed today and tied in a new loop, pretty easy..Hey Mikey I will forsure come over and let you check out the bow. I was practicing alittle today. My target I amde is alittle weak. I had an old 4" foamy and cut it into 4 and tied it together. I was shooting almost all the way through. I then added a piece folded up cardboard boxin between. They now only go through on some shots. My fletching was taking a beating so I stopped. I did manage to site it in a bit better. I am at 20 yards about 2" off bulls eye and my groups are with 2".. Still needs alittle tweaking.. Draw lenght feels good now.. Hey Mikey I am off on Friday And I think it is a Pro D day so my daughter can watch the kids. If you wanted to shoot. I live over in meadow park across from uncle johns nursery..I will PM you my number

The LOOP is 2.5'' long!?? That's ridiculous. Shorten the sucker up. Should be just long enough to accomodate the release, keeping in mind they all will stretch a bit over time.

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    The LOOP is 2.5'' long!?? That's ridiculous. Shorten the sucker up. Should be just long enough to accomodate the release, keeping in mind they all will stretch a bit over time.

Already done, shortened up today