Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried poaching Salmon in the dishwasher?

Anyone tried poaching Salmon in the dishwasher?

I know it can be done. Seen it on t.v. but what seasoning would/have YOU use(d)

I really want to try it just for kicks. I think I would vacuum seal it after seasoning?

Any suggestions?
    Its not the size that matters, its the fun you have while doing it. (HUNTING)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone tried poaching Salmon in the dishwasher?

Yeah, here is my suggestion:

It's insanely easy to poach salmon in a pan.

I know it can be done, but presumably if you have a dishwasher at your disposal, you also are located in a kitchen with an oven and pans...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Poaching salmon is illegal. Besides, I don't think you'll find any in a dishwasher.........
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

I just love how the shortened title on the homepage can be so misleading sometimes!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Gate,

What are your recommendations for poaching salmon? I love poached Chinook Salmon. I cut it into steaks with the skin on and poach it in spiced white wine. Any tips for heat, when to put the fish in, and how to spice it/ what to poach it in. I have also heard of poaching in cream. A friend that is a commercial fisherman go me on to the poached fish. It cooks really fast, and is especially good with fresh fish. One thing I would like to learn is how to make a reduction afterwards to drizzle on the salmon.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

2slow is offline Seeing any?-yup,last week

I sure would not eat anything cooked in a dishwasher. Most units don't fully drain water out of the discharge pump and during the fill process or rinse process that dirty water can be siphoned back into the unit then would be sloshed onto your salmon your trying to cook Yuk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Gate,

What are your recommendations for poaching salmon? I love poached Chinook Salmon. I cut it into steaks with the skin on and poach it in spiced white wine. Any tips for heat, when to put the fish in, and how to spice it/ what to poach it in. I have also heard of poaching in cream. A friend that is a commercial fisherman go me on to the poached fish. It cooks really fast, and is especially good with fresh fish. One thing I would like to learn is how to make a reduction afterwards to drizzle on the salmon.
    You can poach in anything, including cream, olive oil and even duck fat.

The key is to use a liquid that puts flavour in to the salmon, rather than leaching it out.

Most fish is poached in a "court boullion" - some sort of stock, usually flavoured wiht herbs, lemon, white wine, pepperorns.

FOr a real treat, cook a bunch of mussels in a pan with a bit of white wine and reserve the liquid. Add some white wine to the liquid and poach your fish in that.

Generlaly you want it to "gently" simmer, not boil. Boiling will make it tough. Too long cooking time will make it dry. Use just enough liquid to keep it mostly suspended- don't completely cover the fish in liquid. Use a lid or piece of foil to cover.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Thanks Gate,

Could you poach in the juices from pan fried Scallops or Shrimp, similar to the mussels?
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

i wouldnt eat anything cooked in a dishwasher
    i thought i was wrong once then i realized i was just mistaken

one thing I learned with poaching fish is to wrap the herbs and spices you would like it seasoned with such as lemon, dill, pepper what ever your taste and wrap the fish with the seasonings in plastic wrap - then put the fish into the poaching bath of water and the seasonings are locked into the fish and it doesnt get dried out, it stays perfectly cooked and perfectly flakey almost like a boil in a bag type idea.
    Last edited by newhunterette; 02-04-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: flippin nails are too long again hitting the wrong keys

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper