Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some Turkey Tidbits

Need some Turkey Tidbits

Looking to do some turkey hunting this spring and was wondering if anyone had any tips for a first timer. looking at possibly going to the rock creek area

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need some Turkey Tidbits

here are some articles on turkey hunting:

Turkey Hunting Tips
    Scouting for Turkeys

hope this helps.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

4WW,

I also am thinking of trying this spring, out here in the Kootenays. Have you ever eaten one?

Timming is important, you want to go when they are calling.

Get yourself a locator call, ie a crow call or a loud gobble.
    Drive, walk around stopping often to call, wait listen, you'll hear them call back.
    then put the sneek on them to cut down the distance, when you can hear them easily after calling with a slate or box call, sit or find a good hiding place and keep calling changing up your calls to whatever they like (they'll answer back quickly) sometimes it takes over an hour for them to decide they are going to come into you but when they do it usually happens fast.
    If they are not calling it's alot harder, try to get between them and where they're trying to go, ie feed to roost.
    Last year they wouldn't call for anything so it was more drive around till you spot one and run 'n' gun.
    Lots of fun -good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TWA View Post
    4WW,

I also am thinking of trying this spring, out here in the Kootenays. Have you ever eaten one?
    Only the ones that have Butterball on the plastic shirt they're wearing haha

As a first time turkey hunter “some tips” will get you nowhere. But you’re in luck.

I can offer you three choices to get a real education on turkey hunting.

Come to the four hour turkey hunting course in Merritt on March 15.

Visit “Wild Turkey Fever” (dedicated to nothing but turkey hunting) or my main website (articles)where you also can find a few pro-turkey hunting tips.

My new book “Turkey Hunting Facts” for novice and advanced turkey hunters with tips for the trophy tom hunters will be out this coming fall (keep the fingers crossed). So you should buy that book as soon it hits the market.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Hey 4Wheelin, I hunted turkey last year at Rock Creek...didn't see or hear anything. I hear that their population is rising around the South Okanagan, and I got my turkey in Grand Forks... It was the best roast turkey I ever had...I'm heading out to hunt them this spring again!

Ive shot and eaten 3 so far, big toms dont taste so great, a yearling jake was very tasty!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Is the hunting typically better early or later in the spring season? I'm in the Oliver area.

Hey 007, I'd think that the earliest you could be out there when they've started gobbling would be best, before other hunters have educated them to calling. I got my turkey in GF the second weekend of the season, in late April... By the way, I picked up and excellent video that teaches everything about turkey hunting, it's by Primos and it's called "Mastering the Art...of spring turkey hunting". I found it at Grouse River Outfitters here in Kelowna, and it's well worth the $15...
    Last edited by Singleshotneeded; 02-21-2009 at 05:33 PM.