Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broadheads again

broadheads again

Is there really a broadhead out there that will truly fly the same as a field point, It seems to me that you can make a field point do anything but not a broadhead.
    What I am sayiny is if my bow is not properly tuned than it will be pretty hard to find a broadhead that will match a field point, Am I correct ?
    I have tried to different broadheads and had to make a slight tuneing adjustment for 1 and than I didnt bother for the other because it was so different. Jody

2. Site Sponsor

Re: broadheads again

i am kinda lost on this ,, if your bow isnt properly tuned then isnt it hard to shoot your field points as well?

but to answer what i think you are asking , the mechanical broadheads usually fly the same as field points. i use the spitfire XP's and they hit where my field points hit. and i know others on this site can attest to the mechanicals they use.

Bow Walker Guest

Jeez Jody - I wish either you were nearby or I was up there. We could solve your problem in an afternoon.

Hey thanks Bow Walker, don't get me wrong, I am quite enjoying all this bow shooting stuff. I was just stateing that I did have to adjust my bow to get a mechanical togroup close to my field points, this was after shooting nice groups with field points and doing the walkback tuning method.
    Thanks Jody

Not tring to high jack your thread westhoyt, but I had the same sort of question, will fixed broad heads and field points of the same weight fly pretty close to the same pattern?!

Perry
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

Bow Walker Guest

It is definitely possible to get fixed heads to fly like field points. Mine do. Out to at least 50 yards - not that I'd ever advise anyone to actually shoot at a game animal that far away.

I say out to at least 50yards because when I was a member at Vic Bowmen, that's as far as I could get back from the broadhead pit without standing in the parking lot (kinda frowned on, ya know).

It takes a bit of patience, some careful arrow building, and then some careful assembly/testing.........but then I'm kinda anal about my equipment.

So I if I undestand, to get practice(Field points) arrows to fly close to your hunting(broadhead) arrows, you WILL need to tweek your bow to find a happy medium?!! Getting a bow real soon!!....as you can tell!

Perry
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

Bow Walker Guest

The bow should be "tweaked" regardless of your choice of point(s). It should be tuned to you, it should be tuned to your arrows, and most importantly, it should be tuned so that it's a pleasure to shoot,,,or you will find yourself not wanting to shoot.

There is basic tuning, like centershot, peep adjustment/alignment, nocking point, tiller, etc, etc. Then there is the micro-tuning that gets it shooting like a laser light. Find a knowledgeable person who will take the time needed to tune it right, and who will build your arrows with care.

here is how I tune my broadheads, I received help from interceptor on this site.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Jody PM Me
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.