Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snowshoes???

snowshoes???

Ok, so I know nothing about snowshoes but am looking to get a couple pairs for myself and my little guy for coyote hunting and exercise this winter. Can you good folks reccomend some decent shoes that are not hugely expensive, I don't need top of the line....just sturdy and functional. Also I am a big guy....300lbs, and my little guy is just about 9 and weighs approx. 80 lbs so I will need some reccomendations based on those parameters please.
    Also any general advice on snowshoes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

2. Site Sponsor

Re: snowshoes???

I think that you will have to get an extra large set of sinew/wood in the Algonquin style. The modern makers like Tubbs pretty well set their limits at 250#.
    300 #s? Holy crap Chris.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I like my Atlas 1030's, good for most conditions and I am probably 220-240 lbs loaded with gear
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

For work, (forestry) we use the GV brand snowshoes based out of Quebec. They are super tough and carry a lifetime warrenty on most of their models. They have a wide variety from modern to the traditional type and some for kids. http://www.gvsnowshoes.com/

My parents bought some of the entry level ones (Winter Trail model) last year for like $120.00 I think???

Best of all, made in Canda, not China or ???

Looks like Northern Hardware in PG carries them, or there is also a dealer in 100 mile. Good luck and have fun!!!
    Last edited by dunbartr; 12-21-2008 at 06:14 PM.

I just got a pair from costco they are made by GV, took them out in the yard and around in my area, its almost 4 feet in spots and I only sunk half way up my boots, but they are only rated for up to 250lbs and i'm right on the line. Cabels has a few brands that are rated over 300lbs, mec has some as well, or you can try valhalla.

I bet the big ones that you got (10x36) would hold 300lbs just fine.

I would recommend the GV style. I have a pair of Sherpas, that I bought 25 years ago or more and they still work great...

I am not a fan of the old school wood/sinew type shoes (Ojibway??), they were extremely large and cumbersome, you also had to walk like a pregnant penguin....

Here is a link to a Forestry supplier http://www.irl.bc.ca/Forestry%20Supplies/snowshoes.htm
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I used to spent alot of time on snow shoes, hunting rabbits behind two Springer spaniels. Until the snow got wet in the spring I found that the wooden shoes gave more support and were easier travelling. Tough backing out of a willow patch though. They are light and they shed snow well. I used 12X60's and 14X48's

I fell over a lot with the "bear paws" that the fallers used. Dumped those.

When the snow got wet and firmer in the spring, I switched over to a pair of Sherpas which I still use. The webbing on wooden shoes gets soggy and stretches when it's wet.
    Synthetic shoes require very little maintainence.

Getting someone to show you the proper gait will make it so much easier and pleasurable

Next, Chris, make some pink fletched flu-flu's for rabbit's, then get Mr. Dean's "Lovely Assistant" to send you a recipe.

Atlas 1235's are rated for 300 lbs, lifetime warrenty, not cheap but real good shoes.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

I just picked up a pair of 36 inch Atlas sportsman from Venture Gear in Kelowna.They seem to work very well and keep me up just as well as the 60inch wood shoes we have been useing for the last 20 years.