Thread: Sika deers in Japan

Sika deers in Japan

Was just digging through some old pics from last summer when I toured Japan. We visited an island called Miyajima, a 10-min ferry ride from Hiroshima. Sika deers abound on this island, they are supposedly divine messengers or something, so they run amok this small island like a zoo. Thought I'd share some of these pics with you guys.

As you can see, you can walk up and pet them like a puppy:

The sign "Deer Food", a vendor selling feed for deer (Japanese translation: "Deer senbei", senbei = a Japanese snack cracker of sorts) for 200 yen (roughly 2 dollars)

Just a fraction of the deer on the island:

This little guy was contemplating on eating the napkins...

Up close and personal:

And what's an informative look without a good video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY2pL0YNZrs
    (I was remarking to my friend, in Cantonese, how "content" this deer seemed when eating the cardboard box... )

Sometimes, deers would walk into stores with open doors, and the shopkeepers would have to use a broom to give them the bum's rush

Certainly no stalking required here Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sika deers in Japan

If only they ate deer...instead of cats and dogs!

Thats really neat , thanks man .

My pleasure.

Japan is a really neat place to visit. If you've never been, you owe it to yourself to check it out (in non-hunting season of course! ); I can point y'all in the right direction (main attractions, off the beaten path, whatever your preferences).

We hunt Sika deer in NZ and they are very vocal and cunning to hunt. If they are spooked, see or smell you they squeel and warn each other like no other deer. We have a hunting competition and show/expo every year in September held in Taupo. The Sika Show is the biggest hunting expo in Australasia.(Aus and NZ)
    Don't be fooled by the above photos, Japs, as we quite often call them are fun and hard to hunt.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

Cool stuff!

Are the Sika's in NZ about the same size as the ones in the pics? I imagine these guys are probably smaller than the Sitka BT's..?

A mature Sika stag goes around 120lb skin on and gutted. They are real good doers and thrive where red deer starve.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

RP...
    In that youtube video clip the guy says....spelling incorrect..."gowsee"....does that mean poo?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Where the one is being petted like a puppy......I can imagine the thought bubble "You are lucky I am not packing a knife you little bugger or I would you have you drawn, quartered and on the spit before you knew what hit you"...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    RP...
    In that youtube video clip the guy says....spelling incorrect..."gowsee"....does that mean poo?
    That was my buddy, he was saying "gau ji", which means "scotch tape" in Cantonese; he was saying how the deer was eating the tape too

And yes, "gow see" means dog poo.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Where the one is being petted like a puppy......I can imagine the thought bubble "You are lucky I am not packing a knife you little bugger or I would you have you drawn, quartered and on the spit before you knew what hit you"...
    That was EXACTLY what buddy was thinking, and yes, he WAS packing a Strider SNG...