Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goose Loads

Goose Loads

Hey everyone just wondering what the most popular goose load is. I use 3'' number 2 blackclouds for ducks but i havent shot a goose yet. and want to give it a try when it opens up again

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goose Loads

2 3/4inch, 1oz #2's.....works every time!!!
    You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

isnt that a little small lol

Sometimes size doesn't matter!!

I've just found that the amount of pellets you have in the air isn't a huge consideration if you're a crack shot!!

Also, my Beretta is an older over and under and isn't chambered in 3" but I continue to use it because it's...well...a Beretta and just feels good!

If you like the #2 Black Clouds, use em. I'll never buy another box after the dismal performance I had from them this fall. #2s will kill geese just as well as anthing else. Strictly for geese, I would suggest a good 2 3/4'' BBB load doing better than 1450 fps. 3'' or 3.5'' is overrated in my eyes.

ok sounds good i will look into getting some different types of shells and just see what works the best would those 2 3/4 bbb work well for pass shooting on geese or just landing geese over decoys

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Abbate View Post
    ok sounds good i will look into getting some different types of shells and just see what works the best would those 2 3/4 bbb work well for pass shooting on geese or just landing geese over decoys
    If you're pass shooting I would avoid steel completely and go to a heavy shot like tungsten or bismuth.

any suggestions on perticular shells

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    If you're pass shooting I would avoid steel completely and go to a heavy shot like tungsten or bismuth.
    Shot placement, shot placement!!!

The same principles apply when it comes to shot placement as it does with bid game as it does with birds....so....if the bird is in the pattern, it will die (obviously the point above is that with smaller shot you have more pellets in the air, therefore giving you a better chance of hitting the bird!)

There isn't any practice that can prepare you for hunting waterfowl like shooting sporting clays - try it (more than once) and you'd be amazed at how many more birds you hit!! Practice makes perfect!!

Have read a number of reports that steel shot larger then BB doesn't perform well in most guns. If you are restricted to 2 3/4" get some Kent bb's, 1 1/16oz are easy to find, they do make a 1 1/4oz load in 2 3/4" which I really like, buy they are a special order item. Stillwater and Italian carry Kents.

If you are not doing "a lot" of goose shooting, #2 non-tox may be the best for your situation.

Very best,

Ian