Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grouse numbers?

Grouse numbers?

This was my first year hunting in BC and I was able to take some grouse during those hunts. I felt like I saw a handful every time I went out (reg 3,5,. It was nice... I got to the point of being pretty picky with the size/type of grouse I would take.

Would you guys say this is a good year or slow year for grouse, I don't have anything to compare it too.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse numbers?

I have hunted 3-40 for a few years. Hole-in-the-wall area. There were far less grouse there this year. We took 2, but left the rest in the hopes they would rebuild.Now, wolf tracks were a different thing. Lots of them! Might have something to do with the few deer we saw? D P

This has been an average or below average year for me as far as numbers are concerned.

Found plenty in some areas and very few in others. I think we need a couple of nice dry springs to kick numbers back to where they were 2 years ago.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

This has been the worst year in a long time around PG. We haven't had a good year for almost ten years

Lots of grouse encountered this year for me...Reg 2, 3, 5 and 7
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I would say so. Lots of grouse where I hunt. Every time I go out I come home with a bunch of them. I wish I would see as many deer as I see grouse. I am heading out right now to look at a new deer spot, I am sure a few grouse will get a ride home with me.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Seen almost none this year but then again since i no longer have my birddog with me i am not really as interested in hunting them so perhaps i am just not noticeing them.

Saw quite a few in Region 8. Shot a couple but was there for deer so didn't bother with lots others. I saw a few coveys which is encouraging..

The island seems about the same as usualy these days - a few around, nothing to write home about. Not too bad a year everywhere where I visited considering the cold miserable June we had I figure. ..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I had a pretty good grouse hunting trip to the Cache Creek region earlier this year.

I haven't been out hunting and not seen grouse, usually always while I'm still hunting deer though. Some areas didn't hold many birds but others have lots.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"