Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rattling...lets learn

WoodOx Guest

Question rattling...lets learn

any tips, tricks, or techniques to get mulies to respond to rattling?

Id like to learn - do rattling bags work, or stick with the real thing?

size of antlers work? should they be fresh(er)?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: rattling...lets learn

I have seen M bucks in the same area I have been rattling, but never that I could say were coming to me. Usually spotted about 5 minutes after getting up to move location. Doh !
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I have rattled in a few Muleys now - they aren't near as aggressive as whitetails. The ones I have rattled in, were young 2-3 year old bucks and I always use a rattling and deer calling combination (grunt tube). Don't rattle too long and have patience. I usually wait 20 minutes.

Rattle in the timber where you are finding sign or on the edge of a small opening and make sure the wind is in your favour.

Good luck!
    Live to Hunt...

I've rattled in several muley bucks and 3 of them were 160"+.....with a rattlebag....can't beat the convenience of a small package.

I usually start off with raking and grunting and if that doesn't work then I progress to rattling.
    I've called in waaaaaaaaay more mulies than whities. The does that I've called in have been suicidal....but where there are does......

I usually set up on a perch with a good vantage spot.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

ive called in a ton of whiteys... never tried for mulies tho.... ive also tried rattle bags.. but i would much rather use the real thing just because i use the horns to rake the ground and trees... i usually go for 3 or 4 min... then wait about 20and i always start off with the softer rattling session

The bag is pretty good and a lot easier than packin a set of antlers.If you do use horn I cut the brow tines off,saves on smashed fingers.Fresher sheds have a better sound than old bleached ones.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

i rattled two white tail does out of the timber last year with a rattle bag i was out in the middle of a field and had seen a buck walk into the tiber a few hundred yards away and i was just curious to see what would happen so i rattled a big and blew on my grunt tube a bit and these two does come bustin out of the timber at 90 miles an hour
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

I've rattled in quite a few muleys. Can't say any were 'shooters' in my eyes though. It definatly does work. I prefer to rake a tree and grunt first with the odd doe call mixed in and sit tight.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

The biggest thing I have learned while rattling is the hardest part for me personally....patience.

I've found that bucks slip in more often than you hear them thunder in. Can't count how many I've spooked the second I stand up. Usually the larger ones.

a few years ago I started chaining myself to the ground and finally started seeing more bucks....

PRE-RUT works "best", but can pull deer in at any time.

The bucks will come downwind to catch your scent, get a buddy located to intercept those bucks and switch it up each setting, you will have a lot more fun.
    ......"I am allergic to shame, and life's too short to spoil it with indelible memories of shameful conduct."

Rattle bag huh ? I may have to change tactics. I use a set of 22" four-point antlers. Big lure = big fish
    Grunt/rattled in a WT spike this A.M., he crashed in, from direct down wind, stepping in my boot tracks for over 50 yards. Young = dumb, or maybe just a real scrapper.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole