Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule deer rut

Mule deer rut

Can somebody tell me if the mule deer rut is in full swing yet, I am hunting region 8 so would be helpful to know for this region.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mule deer rut

October 22nd to November 23rd---already happening-- mature does all bred pretty well by Nov 2nd---then yearlings Nov 9 to 13 then missed does on Nov 16 to 19 then a few stragglers then done like dinner.
    It's going hot and heavy as we speak---Jel-Rut-now

Way to warm for deer to rut this year, a smart man would sell his guns and buy a 55 in. HD big screen and watch sports till xmass! Why waste gas and increase your ever enlarging carbon foot print!!! If it's warm like this, the bucks sweat way to much and slide off the does!!! Has to be way colder out, so what i may do is go out and check around to see if i can find any Ruttin Buck sign and check back in again after the season close's!!!

Was out all day today. very warm this am. Saw only 3 and 4 doe bunches They didn't seem to antsy. Watch them for an hour or so each. I agree with M.Dean. I think its way to warm yet. Need the cold snap!! Back to moossin tomorrow. last day.

Here in region 3 I see the first rubs and everyday more are appearing. I have not seen any bucks chasing does or even near the does. Like M. Dean said, it’s to warm. I wait until November and hope we get a good cold snap and hopefully a little snow would suit me fine.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Deer breed mostly after dark so that's why you don't see them in actual ha you know. The cold weather is one thing but fawns are born same time each year so weather or not it's still taking place. Gestation period all done by photoperiodism (amount of light of each day entering eyeballs) so that's why deer are born every year the same time. Snow or no snow frost or no frost still happens.
    Look up photoperiodism in relation to deer annual life systems. Birthing, antler development and shedding, breeding and rut all by amount of daylight.
    Jel-daylight in eyes=life changes--each day-4 minute change of light length-

Out yesterday,seen lots of fresh rubs and some good rutting activity.Buddy shot a 4x3,buck had a good size neck and starting to smell.Picked up another buck(4x5) last weekend with my son inlaw that was chasing after a Doe.So the rut has started and should get better day by day.Cant wait for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    October 22nd to November 23rd---already happening-- mature does all bred pretty well by Nov 2nd---then yearlings Nov 9 to 13 then missed does on Nov 16 to 19 then a few stragglers then done like dinner.
    It's going hot and heavy as we speak---Jel-Rut-now
    Every year the Rut dates seem to change , I could of sworn that you said the most active Rutting period is between Nov 10 to Nov 17 last year there JEL.
    PB

thanks for all the information, hoping to go check it out this weekend, and maybe get a nice buck.

In all my years hunting region 8 I beleive the heavy rutting, where the big bucks become really stupid, occurs in the second and third weeks of November. I had also heard that is why the season closes there on Nov. 9 or 10 every year.