Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-11 Moose down

8-11 Moose down

Dropped my first Moose this morning with my LEH tag in M.U 8-11.

Started out early before first light, myself and two hunting partners, checking out a few spots but not much moving, weather was overcast with light rain and a nice breeze, but didn't see much moving other than a few does. We decided to check out a different area that a friend of a friend recommended which turned out to be a great spot with some decade old growth and a few nice swamps.
    So we park the truck, get out and one partner starts doing some calling as myself and other partner go for a walk to check for some sign. After awhile of searching with out much luck of sign we decide to head back to the truck to get another game plan together. As we are unloading our rifles ready to load in to the truck I hear a few tree snaps about 20 yards ahead of me a Bull moose comes charging out of the timber heading right for us. He pulls on the brakes and hightails it back into the timber. We scramble grabbing our shells and rifles and one buddy goes into the trees after it and myself and the other runs down the FSR hearing the moose grunting all along parallel with us. after about 100m booking it down the road we stop and let out a nice long cow call and no more than 5 seconds later the bull moose pops out about 25 yards infront of us broadside. Knelt down and fired one using my winchester 70 30-06, feeling very confident with my shot we stood stil for a few minutes and then decided to investigate. after about 5 minutes of tracking we found him buckled down about 30 yards from the road.
    Weighed in at just over 400lbs on the scale
    Pretty thrilling after a morning of not much action! Big thanks to the fellas in the group for all the help getting him out in one piece and loaded up.

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: 8-11 Moose down

good for you !!
    congrats, thats when the work starts.
    good on ya !
    C/T

A man after my own heart....congrats, that'll be the first of many trust me!! Once you go "moose,' you never go back!
    You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

Nothing wrong with that! Congrats!
    CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS

sweet eating mate! congrats

Congrats!One more down for the Kelowna boys

thats a great trophy for your first kill Geoff.... great way to start off a hunting career..huge congrats!

25 yards broadside? Lady luck was on your side my friend! Good job, and enjoy the moose
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Quote Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
    25 yards broadside? Lady luck was on your side my friend! Good job, and enjoy the moose
    Deffinatly had the horseshoes on thats forsure, he came within 25 yards on us twice, safe to say rut is in full swing.

Moooooooooooo-se. Adda boy Jeffery.