Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light and quick overnighter, Lots of bucks

Light and quick overnighter, Lots of bucks

With the weather report saying the snowline was 1700 meters I figured I should be in the highcountry to see how the bucks will react.

Made it up to the ridge and was fogged in so instead of hiking over an hour to my camping spot I decided to pitch the tent and still hunt the ridge in the morning while the fog lifted. I didn't want to be sitting in my glassing spot for hours waiting for the fog to lift freezing my arse off.

I wake up in the morning and it was clear, fog lifted overnight, CRAP. I make a mad dash to get on my way. Cut two sets of fresh tracks in the snow on the way to my spot but I push on to get settled into my glassing location.

Immediatly upon cresting the last ridge I see 3 deer, a doe and two yearling button bucks. I'm only 50 yards from my glassing spot so I push on and get settled. After a few minutes I spot this guy.

Shortly after I see him I seen a little fork horn. After a couple more minutes I see a buck lower down and after a few minutes of watching him he makes his way to the other bucks..

He's broken off on his mainbeam on the one side and is barely a crabclaw 4 pointer on the other side.

CONT

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Light and quick overnighter, Lots of bucks

WTF, how dare you keep us hanging ,lol, this looks like it is going to get interesting very fast.
    Rob

More is a comming, I just can't type fast enough

nice picks Brambles, awaiting rest of the story, patiently.
    CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS

Where was I.....

Oh yeah

So I'm glassing around with the bino's to see if I can locate something else. I then spot another buck, he's standing between two tree's (I need to get better landmarks) I go to the spotter and can't find him. Back up with the bino's and he's gone. CRAP

While I'm looking around I'm remenising about the August scouting trip where I seen most of these bucks before. I'm sick of seeing narrow bucks and am wondering where the wider buck I seen in August went.

A half hour of glassing and I see this guy bedded down, I'm 90% sure he's the wider buck from August

August pic

I notice he's got a cheater out his right side but because of his bedded position I can't seem to get it on camera. So after about an hour of glassing him chewing his cud he gets up and starts feeding.

I manage to snap this one.

Him feeding

BRAMBLES! You are killin me here. Type faster man!
    O.K. I got to go read my son his bed time story. When I get back I want to read mine.
    Last edited by 6 K; 10-06-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS

Now I know what your thinking, enough pictures of him looking away, Get some damn pictures of him from the front.

Well that wasn't as easy as it sounds, but I stuck with it and managed to snap a couple

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

I think i see blood?????
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........