Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I waited 19 years for this day

I waited 19 years for this day

It took me 19 years before I went duck hunting again. This morning I drove to the Nicola Lake ready for a few hours of duck hunting action. The previous week I scouted a few locations in the reed fields along the shoreline and prepared a few natural duck blinds. An hour before daylight I was on the lake gliding silently into the first set up with the boat and started setting up the decoys. Then I headed the boat to a place I prepared beforehand, away from the decoys and blind, where it was well hidden from the ducks view. Arriving at my blind, made up of reed and cattails, I just had time for a quick coffee and setting everything up.

Right at dawn the first mallards came in but then turned away again well out of shooting range. These birds are hunted heavily and that made them weary of decoys and duck calls. Eventually these two ducks came along and I took them. A bit later five Canada geese came in but never close enough for a shot. All in all I had a great morning on the lake.

These are the first ducks I have taken without my father on my side. After he passed away I tried to hunt ducks and got so emotional that I turned around without firing a shot. It was not until last years that I felt comfortable hunting ducks again. After relearning duck calling I felt ready to head out this morning. For the first time I really enjoyed hunting ducks on my own and I will head out again sometime this week. My father was the only duck hunting partner I ever have had. He was an expert at it and all I know I know from him and it just never felt right to be without him doing what he loved so much. Now I am ready to carry his legacy on, and in honor of that I dedicated these ducks to my dad.

The equipment used on this hunt:
    Lowe L 1436
    Mossberg 535 ATS Waterfowl 12 gauge 3 ½ magnum
    Federal Premium Ultra-Shok 3” #3 steel.
    Advantage and ASAT camouflage
    Flambeau duck decoys
    Knight & Hale and Primos duck calls.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I waited 19 years for this day

Great writeup and way to get out there after all that time.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Good sir, I have the utmost respect for you. I'm glad you took the first step towards duck hunting again. Now it's time to carve out some new memories to go alongside those old cherished ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

I'm trying to decide what the second duck is. It kind of looks like a hen mallard but it has grey feet and a blue /gray bill. Gadwall maybe?
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

OK I change my mind, it looks like a female pintail.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I have been wondering too Marc and then I arrived at the same conclusion after checking images of different ducks. I too think it’s a pintail hen.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Congrat's HW. I hope that you enjoy them.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Hen/Eclipse northern pintail
    Hen/Eclipse green-winged teal

Thank you Ian F. for confirming my guess. I am still not 100% about waterfowl identification. There are a lot of green winged teals on the lake. But I was not sure at the time what they are and so I only shot one. Fast little buggers. I didn’t want to exceed the bag limit in case there is a restricted bag limit on them like on the pintail, canvasback, goldeneye and harequin.

One thing that I realized yesterday morning is that I need to spend more time trap and clay shooting to keep up with these fast flying green-winged teals. (Lol)

Other than that I enjoyed it very much and I will be doing a lot more waterfowl hunting in the future. I have gained permission to hunt Canada geese on a farmers field this year. I am anxious to see how that will turn out. Frankly my goose calling sucks. As hard as I try it seems I am not able to produce the proper sounds.

Any tips on geese hunting from our esteemed waterfowl experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Very nice!

Couple of beauty ducks there too eh?

I bet it feels good to be back out there!

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke