Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need tips on hunting deer with a shotgun

Question need tips on hunting deer with a shotgun

If there is anyone out there who has used a shotgun to hunt deer can you help me buy giving me some tips. also is a 1oz slug bigger then a # 1 buck shot.

THANKS

2. Site Sponsor

Re: need tips on hunting deer with a shotgun

If you are using ssg & your shotgun will take 3", use 3" magnum ooo buck shot & don't shoot more that 40 yards. good luck.

buckshot are 'pellets' depending on the 'gauge' of your shot gun you have about 7/8 to 1 and 7/8 ounces of these pellets in your shell, effective on deer out to about 30 yards, slug is just that,"one" big ugly gob of lead! a single projectile! with a slug "barrel" your good to shoot deer out to about 50 yards,again the gauge of your shot gun will make the differance in how heavy your slugs will be !!
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

I got experience on blacktail with 12 guage with buck shot and it drops them at close range but they get up again tho so I like rifles. Jel

I prefer rifle or a slug-but some places you HAVE to use buckshot and a simple rule on buckshot-don't shoot farther than you can throw a rock.The trouble with long shots with buckshot is it kills allright-sometimes a week later
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-05-2008 at 01:54 PM.

1899 Guest

You MUST pattern your shotgun with buckshot. Use different brands of shells and try IC and MOD chokes. I haven't had the greatest luck with Full choke. You can also try 00 and 000 buck. My brother just shot a deer on Vancouver Island in a shotgun with shot only zone. When he was patterning some loads would put only 1 or 2 pellets into an 8" circle at 25 yards. That's why you need to pattern!

I was going to use a rifle but I found out yesterday that it was not registerd. In bc can you use slugs. Also thanks for all the tips.

nano

A slug is a single projectile. In some areas hunting is open in the local bush and hills and it is designated shot only and, single projectiles are prohibited, so check the area boundaries where you want to hunt in, for current regulations and by-laws. Jelly.

Jelvis do you know what the by-laws are in 8-22 and 8-23.

Quote Originally Posted by nano View Post
    I was going to use a rifle but I found out yesterday that it was not registerd. In bc can you use slugs. Also thanks for all the tips.

nano
    If the rifle is not registered, and you have a PAL, why not simply register it. Or since there is an amnesty covering unregistered non restricted firearms for PAL/POL holders, make sure you have all the info written down and simply go hunting. Rarely are you even checked for registration certs, and if you were, they could seize the gun. If it got that far, simply call in and register the gun and go pick it up from the cops.

You can use slugs anywhere you can use a rifle in BC. You must use a 20 ga or larger shotgun, and they are restricted to deer, black bears, cougars wolves or other smaller game.

Check the hunting regs, in paper or online to determine what you can or cannot use in the area you wish to hunt.