Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Or is this just the worst/slowest year of hunting around Cranbrook in the last 5 or 6 years? I just ain't seeing nothin' at all in all the spots I usually see critters. I have never had a whitetail tag last the whole month of september before, and while elk hunting has never been good for me, I usually at least see a few once in a while.

Oh well, it's probably just the warm weather. Maybe we'll get a good hard freeze real-soon-now and things will pick up.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Is it just me?

Feel the same way in PG saw lots of cows in the beginning of Sept but in the last couple of weeks nothin not even a grouse. Figures now that I am on vacation lol.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    -- George Washington

" A long range shot should never be taken if the range is so great that a hold on the top the shoulders will not drop a bullet into the chest cavity." Author Jack O'Conner

Same in Reg 8 right at the west boundary. Maybe all this crazy weather is messing up the critters.

A co-workers hubby is in the Koots with his first Elk LEH. She tells me he's got a tan and wearing shirt and shorts, hasn't seen a thing.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I can't really say as I have not been out, but I have had the opposite impression. Seems everybody I know has been into 6 point bulls, and a number of really good ones have been taken...as many if not more than usual for my friends/coworkers by this time of the year.

Cheers
    4ster

BJ,

I hunt the Ek, and this year was absolutely the most phenomenal bow only season I have experienced. In 9 days of bow only we selected a different bull every day and got in, under 50 yards on over 15 bulls.

Saw lots of cows, but with the bull action, coming in to the bugle and being visible and vocal, we focused completely on bulls. I hunted a lot of different areas. Ground I had been hiking and riding the mtn bike in or looking at through the eyes of Google, all year. Every location I went in to, fresh sign, and active bulls. Not trying to impress here. Just that you asked the question.

For those that take observations, not one of those bulls was a six point. Some huge 5 pts though. I'm concerned that we continue to hunt our six's and I'm not supportive of a 5 or better season.

Sigh... that's more bulls than I've seen in the last 3 years put together (and only slightly less than I've seen in 6 years). How the heck do you do that?!?!?!

BroJack, pls DON'T take this as rubbing salt in your wounds, just trying to provide some more incentive and examples to help you keep your chin up...

One of my co-workers was into bugling bulls 3 times afterwork this week. He even had 3 different bulls going at once. He came into my office at 5 PM on Wednesday and gave me every opportunity to go with him as it was close to town and very easy walking (apparently even for a guy that still has to wear flip-flops!), but I couldn't....had other commitments I couldn't get out of. Last week the same guy was out with a buddy of his and they got a great 300 class bull.

Other guys in our office have been hearing bugles all season. My bosses boss, a coworker and a friend of theirs shot a 6 point bull near town on Wednesday morning. They supposedly have two other 6 points on the go.

My buddies camped out at Koocanusa during the last full week of Sept all saw and had chances at 6 point bulls.

There are others too...

If they can do it, so can you...just keep on trying man. When your slump ends they likely start coming in droves!

Cheers
    4Ster
    Last edited by Kody94; 10-04-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Is it just me?

go back to the basic rules, north east slopes,the coolest places for elk,willows,new growth, springs,wallows,licks, near heavy cover,all hidding spots!!!unseasonal warm weather seems to have things working a bit odd this season,yet when you "click" its crazy out there, just have to have 'faith'! they ARE OUT THERE! good luck!
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

As I've said many times in threads before, I am obviously doing something very very (very) wrong as an elk hunter, and nobody has ever been able to tell me what it is, or describe/explain elk hunting in such a way as it would clue me in as to what I'm supposed to be doing differently. To summarize - over the last 6 years, I've logged around 200 days in the bush (in areas where I know there's elk - I can tell from all the elk poop/tracks and all the guys driving out of the bush with elk in their trucks!), tried every one of the dozens of tips/techniques anyone's ever told me, and the net result of all that effort is, that I've had two fluke encounters with legal bulls that were just accidental encounters (ie: I stumbled into them), and I've spent pushing 90% of my days hunting elk never actually seeing an elk.

But really, elk hunting always sucks for me - I wouldn't have bothered to start yet another thread about that (though it is true that I have seen less elk this year than in any previous year). What I started this thread about was less about elk, and more about deer/critters in general. Usually, I see deer by the dozens; this year, I'd say deer sightings are down a good 70% from what I'm used to seeing during September. Also, there are a whole bunch of spots that have ALWAYS held critters in years past that, this year, seem devoid of life - not even any fresh sign. ??

Is it just me??

Red face Re: Is it just me?

some times hunting just can turn to poop! I spent last 3 weeks taking friends from southern BC, out for elk in 7-20 a, for any bull over 3 points or antlerless, been putting my 6X hunts on hold!! first group of 2 friends, 6 days hunting elk, one missed shot at 6x6, one killed antlerless, and one black timber wolf killed! next 2 buddies out with me shot one antlerless second day out, then 5 more days seeing elk but not connecting, I am out yesterday cow calling for buddy,we get into ELK!! buddy shoots antlerless at about 100 yards in bush stalk, I am using cow calls in small meadows with tall grass about 4 feet high, he shoots!! elk drops !! seconds later elk stands up!! buddy wacks elk again!! elk drops!! stays down this time , we walk up! and big suprize !!!! 2 friggen dead antlerlress elk! CRAPP what now?? buddy has elk tag, so do I but I am only helping him find antlerless! I want to keep hunting for my Trophy BULL !! , but only alternative is to CUT my tag! or buddy has to call in and report himself for exceeding his limit!! so I choose to cut my tag! my hunting 6X elk HUNT is DONE!for this season, I have great yearling for freezer but my hunt is OVER! for this season! I am not happy!! I had a lot of 'ELK' fun this fall, but not as much as I was hoping for!!
    Last edited by elkdom; 10-04-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,