Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mature moose shot and left to rot in Region 3-12

Mature moose shot and left to rot in Region 3-12

While on a hunt today in region, my hunting partner and I came across the gruesome discovery of a mature bull moose that was shot and left to rot. The presence of ravens alerted us to a possible kill sight. The overwhelming smell of the rotting carcass told us right away that the animal had been abandoned. It appeared the bull had been shot at least a couple of days ago. With only spike/fork bulls open, it is obvious that someone shot this moose by "mistake". However, with 4 points on each side, this animal was no where close to being legal. It is unbelievable that anyone could make such an unethical error of judgment! It made both of us sick to see such a waste of what was previously a perfectly healthy animal. I called the "RAPP" line once we got back into cell range. It is unlikely that the person who did this will be caught. However, if they are, I hope they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

(There is a picture of this moose in my gallery. I am not sure how to put it into this thread.)

2. Site Sponsor

1899 Guest

Re: Mature moose shot and left to rot in Region 3-12

That is sickening. I hope they get caught.

not a pretty sight - what a shame

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

what a wast, these are not real hunters if they can't fess up to what they did, mistakes are made, but to leave this, wast,,, it's to bad,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Allen50 View Post
    what a wast, these are not real hunters if they can't fess up to what they did, mistakes are made, but to leave this, wast,,, it's to bad,,,,
    I think more guys would fess up to an honest mistake if the CO`s didn`t slam them for a big fine everytime.Just the act of turning yourself in demonstrates your remorse and the animal could be salvaged and your tag would be cancelled.The meat could be given to a food bank.
    Instead you get fined possibly lose your rifle and hunting privilages
    Thats why guys shoot ,shovel and shut up.I don`t like to see that shit but that`s the CO`s fault too.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

i had a recent crappy experience this past week up north where a guy in a jeep had shot well after dark- 45min- we just happened to still be out there waitin for buddy to come to truck well into the dark. I didnt see a lamp but were not too far away. happends more then we hope coach. these 2 people took one shot and we didnt think much of it till we found a beautiful bull moose the following day.. makes me sad/mad same time...

I disagree that the CO's are in any way part of the problem here. In the past, people were hit hard for confessing to a mistake. Recently, I have read several threads on this website where people have stories about admitting to a mistake and being treated fairly by the CO. In this case, I don't understand how anybody could call this a "mistake". It is the hunters responsibility to clearly identify the animal. It is also the hunters responsibility to report any mistakes that are made. I have seen a few small bulls this year. Recently, I had one 50 yards away looking straight at me. Face on, it appeared that he only had spikes. I was glassing the animal with binoculars and my partner was to be the shooter. We both exercised patience and waited for the bull to turn his head. When he did, those "spikes" had 3 points on each side. Unless totally sure that the animal is legal, there is no way anybody should be shooting. In the case of the dead bull we found, he was on the outside of the tree line in a large cut block. There were several other cut blocks around, divided by narrow strips of trees. Even if he was running away, there would have very likely been another opportunity to observe him. I spoke with a friend who knows the Vernon CO fairly well. Apparently he has already confiscated 4 illegally shot bulls from "hunters" in our area. I really feel that this website is a great place for people to become educated about hunting - which is why I posted this story and the pictures. Hopefully better education will stop more of these incidents from happening.

we have found 2 3x3s this year so far along with to cow moose as well in 3-18 the co's have been contacted but not much they can do without any witnesses and a rotting carcas

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    I think more guys would fess up to an honest mistake if the CO`s didn`t slam them for a big fine everytime.Just the act of turning yourself in demonstrates your remorse and the animal could be salvaged and your tag would be cancelled.The meat could be given to a food bank.
    Thats why guys shoot ,shovel and shut up.I don`t like to see that shit but that`s the CO`s fault too.
    You couldn't be wrong about this. Not CO's fault at all, they were not there and did not pull the trigger, 100% the hunters fault, they are responsible for ensuring they are shooting a legal animal.

I personally know a few CO's and have discussions with them all the time about this kind of stuff. If the hunter is honest and self reports a mistake, they are unlikely to be charged, unless the mistake is a big one. These CO's said they have only once charged someone for accidently shooting a bull that was not a spike-fork because this bull had paddles and 7 points a side...most of these bulls are three points and these CO's would never charge you if you brought it in on your own (unless you have done this more than once). They do this because they don't want the animals left to rot. At least if you bring it in, someone will get to eat it (goes to a shelter or needy family). The same applies when people accidently shoot small cows during calf season. I know several people who have done this and reported and they were never charged. But like I said you could probably only do this once, mutliple offenders will be charged most likely.

It's a COs discretion on what to do however and I'm just referencing what those from PG do.

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    There is some truth to what you've said. A long story short, I accidentally/mistakenly shot a Cow Moose when I was a young teen, and that was a while ago. Dad & I brought the meat out and reported the incident to the R.C.M.P. officer in the small town where we lived. It went to the local magistrate court where the CO from Prince George requested, the meat, my tag, hunting licience, confiscate my rifle plus a $100.oo fine. The magistrate countered we hadn't tried to hid the what had occurred and in fact we had reported it and had taken care of the meat. As such his decision or judgement was I surrender my Moose tag and the meat. He let me keep my licience, my rifle and no fine was imposed.