Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious ELK action!! (pics)

Serious ELK action!! (pics)

(no road hunting, though... ) With a new mouth to feed and running a business, hunting time is scarce and precious and the elk are a few hours away. What I wouldn't give for a weeks vacation to hunt elk!.. (Appreciate your freedom boys! )

Bonzai Trip #1 - Day 1– Headed to our elk spot that we’ve been hunting for ~6 years and the only response that I got to my bugle was a pack of howling wolves! When I hooked up with my pards after the morning hunt, they said they saw a big black wolf ~300 yards from camp the night before I arrived… I didn’t want to compete with 'pro hunters', so I bailed to check out another spot that I’d scouted a bit last year with my bro.

Day 2 - I moved camp, arriving around midnight and hiked up ~an hour as it got light to a sweet saddle that I found the year before which is a well used crossing to the next drainage. After glassing the alpine for muleys and confirming they’d moved down into the timber already, I worked my way down a knife ridge to call into the steep drainages below. After ~ 15 min. I started getting responses and had ~3 bulls going for an hour in the exact same spot they were the year before…one was a growler! However, they were in a hell hole that would take several days to get the meat out, so it was back to the drawing board...

Here's the bottom 1/3 of the mountain (hell hole from the top):

Trip #2 - After a few bullsh!t sessions with a buddy that grew up in the area, I got him psyched and convinced him to hike in with me and go after those bulls. It was thick and steep but we knew very few were dumb enough to go up after them! Definitely not in 'sheep-shape' we were suckin’ wind, but made it up in a few hours.

Similar country:

Almost as soon as we got up to the quakies, we hit a game trail and I immediately found ~180 muley shed. Then I looked up and there were two huge elk rubs at the top of the small clearing. We had finally hit their territory… it was still steep and thick, but they were here! I considered just finding the elk in this new country a success. I wanted to get the big bench that I’d seen from above, so we kept climbin’… just as we hit the timber at the top of the patch, we heard a bugle over our panting...
    >>>to be continued>>>

Elk territory - thick patches of cover:

2. Site Sponsor

1899 Guest

Re: Serious ELK action!! (pics)

Excellent! More please.

steepNdeep. I like where this thread is going. Looking forward to part 2. Glad to see that the terrain you are hunting lives up to your handle. I know what you mean about the "non-hunting" time constraints that seem to creep into ones life. Forces one to think of quality rather than quantity as relating to time spent afield.

He was ~150 yards above us in the timber and bugled periodically as we maneuvered downwind over the edge of the into the draw and worked our way up. When we were almost to his elevation we dropped out packs and let out a few mews. He responded immediately and then a bigger sounding bull let one rip with a big chuckle above us in an avalanche chute. The first bull was coming in, so we set up and tried to coax him in as I tried to GPS our packs but it was too thick for a signal. After ~15 min. he was only 40 yards out, but he hung up in some thick alders. I tried to move on him but he spooked a bit and started to move away. The chuckler came a bit closer but shut up after a bit. By this time we only had ~1 hour of light left. There were other bulls bugling where the first one was headed, so we decided to go after them. We followed his tracks sidehilling down the numerous trails and there were fresh track everywhere. We had 2 bulls going, but it seemed that the herd was heading down to water in the creek at the bottom where we started! DOH! We tried to stop them, but we could only get a squealer to come back. We got him into ~50 yards, as it got dark but decided to head back to find our packs with the remaining light.

We managed to find our packs but there were no flat spots for camp so we found three trees on the steep hillside to hang the hammocks. Our bear burritos were amazingly comfortable buy my pard’s 2 grizz stories from his past trips in the valley kept us puckered all night. 2am I heard a big crack 50 yards down in the darkness. I was up with the rifle for the next hour and didn’t sleep much after that.

Heré's camp - steeper than it looks - had to chase my stove, water bottle and shoe way down the mountain...

Just as it was getting light, we were greeted with the bugle alarm clock . The squealer was back and was even attempting some chuckles. One chirp as we packed up camp and he was coming. We wanted to get to on some bigger bulls, so we pushed him and headed down towards the distant bugles. When we got down there, there was a cow in heat that was going off with her estrous whining - first time I've heard a REAL sleazy cow. There were lanes in the timber that we could see up to 100 yards in various directions so we set up and got in there with our own horney cow calls and played tug-o-war with three bulls. We got a chuckler into about 60 yards but for almost an hour he hung up in a thickl patch. I was getting sick of this and made a move on him, but he backed off in the undergrowth with his cows. Then another chucker chimed in and I tried everything on him sending one guy forward, but he too backed off after ½ hour when I we got too close ~50 yards. I couldn't believe that with all these bulls NOT one stuck his head out! I thought they’d be brave in such a secluded little haven...

It was 9:30 when we decided to split up and start making our way down to the bikes. We ran into Çid again (a bull that sounded like he was on acid), but they were quieting down as they headed up to their beds above our camp. As we neared the valley bottom we met up and just sat down for a rest when we a bull bugled 100 yards away, but was headed up to bed and we were done chasin'...

New pack worked well with teh bike/rifle setup - thx. Brambles.

No blood, but screamin’ bulls kept the adrenaline flowing for hours night and day. In a new area, we found the bulls right where we thought they’d be and there was no other human sign in their territory. If only I could string a few days together for a serious hunt, We’ll be back early next year and some great memories to keep us psyched and dreaming about the next big hump to the land of the bulls…

A couple of ?s:
    - How many times has a squealer sounding bull turned out to be alot bigger than he sounded and visa versa??? I've never had it happen, but my pard shot a herd bull that had lost his voice...

- Now that we know their M.O. we've got a plan for next time... What do you do when they hang up in the thick sh!t???

Another great read S&D ... I'm sure you'll resolve this for next season. Easy on the life stuff ... one has to keep in shape.

Great story Steep.
    I was right there with ya,enjoyed it thoroughly.You can consider any hunt a sucess when you find that many animals first climb.
    Muley hunting starts in three weeks.RB

What kind of pack is that in the photo? Good for packing a 10 -12 day trip? How much $ ? Thanks.
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

Great account of the action Dean!!

Makes me wish I was still out there!

Hope you get another opportunity to get back in there before things slow down.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

That is some serious country....

Great read, felt like I was there!!!

thanks
    Mike

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    4ster