Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sighting in????

sighting in????

Howdy all,

Just a quick question........I sight my gun in @ 150 yrds. by putting out a target @ that distance and then pluck away until I get a decent 2" group. I was reading in a book that for my gun I could sight in @ 25 yrds and with the trajectory it would be accurate @ 200 yrds.2" high @ 100.

my question is , should I sight in the way i have been, or is this a hard and fast rule???? I don't want to change half way through the hunting season, but maybe try this for next year......I shoot 30-06 carbine with 180's all the time.

thanks in advance.

Tim
    Tim

2. Site Sponsor

Re: sighting in????

Quote Originally Posted by bcbowman
    Howdy all,

Just a quick question........I sight my gun in @ 150 yrds. by putting out a target @ that distance and then pluck away until I get a decent 2" group. I was reading in a book that for my gun I could sight in @ 25 yrds and with the trajectory it would be accurate @ 200 yrds.2" high @ 100.

my question is , should I sight in the way i have been, or is this a hard and fast rule???? I don't want to change half way through the hunting season, but maybe try this for next year......I shoot 30-06 carbine with 180's all the time.

thanks in advance.

Tim
    NO NO NO!!!

To get your bullet on paper, shoot it at 25 yards. 25 yrds tells you jack shit, except that if the bullet hits dead on a t 25, it's good for whacking grouse heads...

Zero your rifle at 100 or 200 yards, not 25.

In the field, you can shoot at 50 yards to VERIFY zero, but the only real way to know where your bullet will hit at 100/200/300 is to shoot it at those distances.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Gatehouse is right.The 25 yd.is just to get it on the paper.A lot of people disagree with me but with my rifles I sight them in 3 in.high @ 100 yds .and that puts me in the ballpark @ 300 yd.

Go to http://www.mytargets.com/ from the top count down 6 sheets to the target with the green and red bullseyes, print it off, set target @ 100yds, crosshairs on the red, print your bullets in the green, go hunting knowing you are accurate to just over 300yds. Hope this helps.

Tim, if your method is working for you, don't mess with it! Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Hey cool sight Ringo thanks for the link.
    Hunt or my foot in your ass,your choice

I'll agree with fred, great link ringo. As for sighting in 25 is to get on paper at 100 I'm usaully at 2 inches high thats seems to work for me.

I'd have to agree with Gatehouse, as that's what I practice, I don't shoot further than a 100yds at the range but if you can you should shoot at the distance you expect to shoot in the bush. If for no other reason "It's goog practice" The only thing I shoot at 25yds is .22cal for off the shoulder practice at very tiny target's to simlate the kill zone at distance.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    NO NO NO!!!

To get your bullet on paper, shoot it at 25 yards. 25 yrds tells you jack shit, except that if the bullet hits dead on a t 25, it's good for whacking grouse heads..
    I tried head whacking a grouse once with my .338 RUM and missed, but the concussion killed 4 Robins and felled 2 trees.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Bow Walker Guest

I agree with both steelco and gatehouse - get it on "target" at 25 yds and then shoot for accuracy out to at least 100 yds. Get your group where you want it (2-3 inches high @ 100yds for me) and you should be set.

Shooting further than 300 yds - even with a scope - can be dicey as the kill zone is all but invisible at that distance, hell the target itself will most likely be covered (or almost covered) by the reticule on a standard 4-power scope.

Good luck out there!