Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back from elk hunt

elk hunt video

Wow did that ever go by fast.

A buddy and i packed up and headed to the kootneys for elk on the 19th. We went to a new spot that i had some pointers on.

My causin lent me a travel trailer so that was excellent since we had a few days of rain.

The first couple days were excellent hunts i thought it was going to be a cake walk. Went out the first evening and did some glassing. just befor dark i let out a few chirps and had a 4 by 4 come running out of the timber some 500 yards away. he put on quite a show.

The next day found us walking into a burn and i started with some calf chirps and the moved into some more estrous sounding cow mews. The hills came alive. we had three for sure, maybe 4 bulls screaming back at us but nothing seemed to want to come in. so i decided to start walking away leaving my buddy hopefully pulling a bull out. i got about 500 yards away from him when i looked up and out in the open a monster 7 by 6 stood out like a sore thumb. He wasnt spooked at all.

well

why didnt i shoot him. i was carrying my open sight 30 30 and he was about 250 yards away. i was standing free hand and it was raining. i opted to not take the shot. it was hard, but much better than trying to track down a wounded bull in the rain. instead i snuckback to get cecil and by the time we came back he was gone. we did see a three by and another bull moving in the timber about 300 yards up which might have been him but the fog moved in and we called it a day.

the rest of the trip had us seing only cows, spikes and 5 points. yes we hung our heads in shame and came home, but not befor visiting wayne and andy in our other spot. They have been into several elk. that all im going to say. they will fill you in when they get back. so here is a video i made. i will post more as well enjoy

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...GSOUPemail.flv

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t=100_1290.flv

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t=100_1289.flv
    Last edited by trigger; 10-01-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: adding clips
    Trigger finger

2. Site Sponsor

Re: back from elk hunt

Just curious was your 30/30 your primary gun or your back up? Sounds like you has a good trip regardless. Good on you for passing the shot shows real sportsmanship and ethics but man I bet you wish you had something else in your hands LOL...

I am glad you had agreat trip,but why on earth would you go elk hunting with a open sighted 30/30?

30/30 is a good Elk caliber, too bad the bugger was not closer. Sounds like a nice trip nonetheless

Right on - sounds like a good trip! A 30-30 could have killed all my bulls - longest was ~100 yards...but Murphy likes to mess with things. It wasn't your day to shoot one but there will be many more...
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 09-28-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Sounds like a good trip, the best elk hunt experiences are with the bulls ya dont shoot!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Being undergunned sucks,

Awesome video! Really enjoyed it.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Nothing wrong with that at all and everyone enjoyed himself. Except for the no kill, that's an excellent outing and you've got the video too.

Trigger, thanks for sharing the story and especially the video - it was beautiful. Looks like you guys had a thoroughly enjoyable trip.