Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butchering supplies

Butchering supplies

Hi All,

Considering butchering our own meat this time round. A couple questions.

Where do I get the wax paper that they wrap everything with in sufficient quantaty? (around Coquitlam area)

If we don't have time to hand the meat does it really matter for Mule deer?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Butchering supplies

Brown butcher wrap you should be able to pick up at Safeway/Super store/ and Costco has huge roll for under $30.00. double wrap those roasts/steaks for longer freezer periods and single warp for meat you will eat in the 1st 2-3 months. Butcher string i can get at a Dollar store, make sure its cotton. At .90cents / lb holy crap more of us should be cutting out game. Thats why i became a butcher/meat cutter for Costco. . good luck ..
    Tikka s-less .308

Check out http://stuffers.com/ They have all kinds of items to get you going. For smaller amounts of paper I went to Otter Co-op a little further east on the Fraser Hwy.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

all most all grocery stores sell butcher wrap..if u wanna have a roll that will last a while buy it from stuffers...make sure u use good tape other wise it just comes off in the freezer..mule deer can be cut in a day or two they dont really have to hang that long...its more of a personal preference i think...some guys hang there deer for 24 hours some guys hang them for a week...

At .90cents / lb holy crap more of us should be cutting out game.
    holly crap is right who is charging that much??? i though .60/lb was expensive...around here u are payin around .35-.45/lb (last time i checked anyways)
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Quote Originally Posted by 3kills View Post
    all most all grocery stores sell butcher wrap..if u wanna have a roll that will last a while buy it from stuffers...make sure u use good tape other wise it just comes off in the freezer..mule deer can be cut in a day or two they dont really have to hang that long...its more of a personal preference i think...some guys hang there deer for 24 hours some guys hang them for a week...

holly crap is right who is charging that much??? i though .60/lb was expensive...around here u are payin around .35-.45/lb (last time i checked anyways)
    Ft st john butchers. better off bringing a freezer and generator with you up there.
    Tikka s-less .308

For a full line of butcher supplies, meat grinders, sausage stuffers etc. Go to Halford hides either on line or you can order a catalog.

Courtenay/Comox is now .70/lbs.

I bought a grinder, a couple of good boning knives, a paper wrap holder and two large cutting boards and do it all myself. My BT took three hours to trim, cut, wrap and grind, plus another hour to make smokies.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

May I please interject with a question or three?.............................

Is brown paper and string preferred? Why not masking tape instead of string? Why not use saran plastic wrap or good zip lock bags instead? Just wondering...didn't mean intentionally to sabotage the thread in any way. Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    May I please interject with a question or three?.............................

Is brown paper and string preferred? Why not masking tape instead of string? Why not use saran plastic wrap or good zip lock bags instead? Just wondering...didn't mean intentionally to sabotage the thread in any way. Chuck.
    I believe they are talking about tying the roasts with the string before wrapping in the brown paper. And yes, the paper is taped. The meat paper (tightly wrapped) will give you better freezer burn protection than the saran or freezer bags.
    Its not the size that matters, its the fun you have while doing it. (HUNTING)

I've only been doing it a short while, BUT I use saran for the steaks, roasts and the sausage, then wrap in butcher paper. Ziploc bags fit 1lb of ground very nicely. The string is used for the roasts that come from around the major bones, IE upper leg.

It's a lot more simple that it looks. For me the issue was keeping the meat cool till I could get to it, now that's taken care of, I'll even tackle a smallish moose!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!