Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing daughters to hunting...

Introducing daughters to hunting...

I've read several threads of sons going out with "Dad" and hunting, thanks to you all!
    What about daughters? With 3, I've got my work cut out for me.
    If it were not too much to ask, how many go out and hunt with daughters?
    I'd like to think I've made an effort to introduce them, but perhaps there is something else I could try? Some others' stories may help.
    I know it is a matter of "just getting them out", but I think I might be missing some other hints or secrets.
    Thanks in advance.
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Introducing daughters to hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by whitetailsheds View Post
    I've read several threads of sons going out with "Dad" and hunting, thanks to you all!
    What about daughters? With 3, I've got my work cut out for me.
    If it were not too much to ask, how many go out and hunt with daughters?
    I'd like to think I've made an effort to introduce them, but perhaps there is something else I could try? Some others' stories may help.
    I know it is a matter of "just getting them out", but I think I might be missing some other hints or secrets.
    Thanks in advance.
    My daughter is soon to be 6 and my son is 9 . Hopefully, my son will want to hunt when he's older. He likes it (a bit) but LOVES the meat.
    My daughter will be the big hunter in the familly...without a doubt. Not only does she want to know what we're eating but what part of the animal it is. How many kids wake uip in the morning and pop in their Dad's hunting videos?? Heck of a caller as well.
    Wish I could have taken her on my elk hunt this year. She would have had a blast(wife said NO WAY).

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

My daughter(14) has been out several times with me...Her school work isn't quite up to par so I limit her to weekend trips. My son(16) on the other hand is an honours student and he goes for a week moose hunting.They both enjoy hunting,she has yet to fire a big gun but my son already shot his first moose two years ago...

Last edited by abbyfireguy; 09-28-2008 at 03:14 PM.

I 1st introduce my daughter to quading,then shed hunting.. I put her into my back pack and off we go..make it enjoyable for the child and the want to go with dad will follow. Do what they want to do , go where they want, stop when they say stop, eat when they are hungry.. Let her be around when dad skins the deer ask for there help.. this summer i brought the .22 out for my daughters 1st go around. Loves it. Hvae fun with the kids thats what its all about. duke

Tikka s-less .308

I have 2 daughters all grown up now with kids of their own. I was a single parent for a number of years with them and they both knew how to shoot gut and indentify track. I did not even give it a second thought that they were girls and this may be foriegn territory for them. My youngest daughters husband just got into hunting and she is showing him a few things that must have stuck with her when I took her out with me.

I've taken both my girls out looking for grouse. They are 3 and 5. both seem to enjoy it.

The gender shouldn't make a difference, take them on a grouse day out and work up from there. The ones that get the bug will let you know.
    My daughter turns 10 in Nov and has already informed me the I'm taking her hunting, while her big brother stays home with Mom!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

My daughter used to come out with me quite a bit.

Was with me when we got a bear once and helped gut and skin it as slick as her mom does. A very good hand butchering at home too. We did two deer together one time when my wife was away.

Started her with an air rifle at around four, then the .22 and she was shooting the 6.5x55 Mauser and 243 at 12.

Got her PAL and is a pretty good shot, but never got around to taking the CORE before she moved out and got married.
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-29-2008 at 03:42 PM.

I have 2 daughters,20 and 16.The youngest one has her hunting licience.She hasn't shot anything yet,but loves to get out there.She did catch her biggest spring this year @ 33 lbs.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

My oldest got her hunting liscence when she was I think 16 Shes been out several times and enjoys it !

Of my othr three girls Im sure my youngest will want to do so as well ! They see how much its a part of your life and how much you enjoy it so that sparks their interest . What they do after being introduced is dependent on their personalities !

Bruce