Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter kill

Winter kill

How was the winter kill around the Chetwynd area? I heard it was bad again.
    Big bullets ,Big holes ,Big meals...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Winter kill

It will have been brutal says anyone who made the trip and didn't get anything. For anyone that shot something there was no winterkill
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

We got 2 moose in 3 days. Guys beside us got 3 moose in 7 days. It's definitely better than last year.
    "Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you." (Genesis 9:3)

Russell' Meats had very few hanging, and what I did see were cows and calves taken by natives. A ton of elk though!

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Exclamation Re: Winter kill

DEVASTATING the Winters up North!!! seems so "NEW" the cold weather and snow, I heard the BC Gov't will be "purchasing Moose from New Brunswick, hauling them to North East BC, setting them free just before August 15 ,next year", just so we can continue to have a GOS for bull moose! any moose that dont get 'shot' during the GOS for bull moose will then be rounded up and taken back to New Brunswick so they will survive the winter !!! also heard plans for the "Yukon and Alaska" to round up any moose they have left that haven't died of cold winters and take them to a warmer climate also! I have also heard rumours to eliminate ALL the TREEs so its "EASY!!!" to find moose, because if YOU dont find ONE then they must be extinct! If the hunting seasone were Regulated by persons who are unsuccessfull , then there would be no hunting season! MAKES PERFECT SENSE , DONT IT?
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

ELKDOM - what are you referring to regarding removing the trees?
    There is only 1 place - on the top of the mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    DEVASTATING the Winters up North!!! seems so "NEW" the cold weather and snow, I heard the BC Gov't will be "purchasing Moose from New Brunswick, hauling them to North East BC, setting them free just before August 15 ,next year", just so we can continue to have a GOS for bull moose! any moose that dont get 'shot' during the GOS for bull moose will then be rounded up and taken back to New Brunswick so they will survive the winter !!! also heard plans for the "Yukon and Alaska" to round up any moose they have left that haven't died of cold winters and take them to a warmer climate also! I have also heard rumours to eliminate ALL the TREEs so its "EASY!!!" to find moose, because if YOU dont find ONE then they must be extinct! If the hunting seasone were Regulated by persons who are unsuccessfull , then there would be no hunting season! MAKES PERFECT SENSE , DONT IT?
    haha...Good one!

I don't think the winters are having as big an impact on animal numbers as maybe tick kill and the huge number of hunters up there!

Actually,I was thinking more along the lines of the tick problem from the year before,if it was still present in large numbers again.The year before was very bad,so bio down hear tells me.I have lived up north,I do know of the winters Domdom ...I mean elkdom.Ooppss did that come out loud?
    Last edited by tooty; 09-26-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    Big bullets ,Big holes ,Big meals...

Talking Re: Winter kill

About 90% of the moose hunters that hunt Bullmoose in the early season,are only equiped for OPPORTUNITY hunting! that is I mean "if they see a bull moose, they may be able to kill it!!" thats Aug 15 to Sept 15, during that part of the season, the forest is like a tropical jungle, the weather is hot ( most days 30 celcius plus), moose dont respond to calling as in the rut and post rut days, SO thousands of hunters converge in north east BC every year, the 15 of August, seeking a bullmoose, only problem is its HOT! most movement and feeding is done at night in the DARK!, add to that the fact most years water is abundant, the forest is a smorgasbord of choices for feeding so the truth is the game is very difficult to see during day light hours! Add to this during summer many of the ' EASY ' moose have been killed by our First nations hunting brothers. This August 15 opener around ( Dink Mountain) sport hunter numbers were down by more than 50% of past years! (reason??? high gas prices??,hopes of easy antlerless elk in 7-20a??? ) I dont know why but hunter numbers was way down for the early season! As for deep SNOW and TICS , it has been happening for thousands of years!! the only real differance from many years gone by , as to moose harvest success is that the last few years guys can get ONLINE and whine that something ate thier moose!! ( Wolves?? Tics?? other Hunters?? )what ever! boo hoo! and as for DOM DOM! your absolutly right! I manage to find a DOM DOM Bull moose every year! and I manage to find a DOM DOM 6X Bull elk, every year!, I have for the last 20 some years! are you that DOM???
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Just like last year hey Elkdom? Man I was home recently and took out the in-laws. We saw at least 30 moose in a week. Several large bulls with one 60+ inches. Is that this years elk in your Avatar or are you still playing?