Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Immature moose hunt

Immature moose hunt

Just looking for as mich spike/fork tips as possible. Does calling work? Are they always with the cows? When is the ideal time (reg 3)? Terrain- low swamps or higher cut blocks? Best strategy- calling, still-hunting or covering as much ground as possible?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Immature moose hunt

Calling will work with them, but try and stay away from the bull grunts. I've found that as soon as a dink bull hears a big agressive bull calling at him, he'll get outta dodge. Cow calls however....just think thirteen year old boy seeing his buddy's mom bending down in a V-neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Flingin' Sticks View Post
    ....just think thirteen year old boy seeing his buddy's mom bending down in a V-neck.
    That is funny man. I think I have been there.
    It is easier to get forgivness than it is permission.

It has been pointed out to us that the proper number to consider in the event of violent aggression is "911"- if you are of the rabbit people. Others will do better to place their faith in the number "1911".

Find the cows before or early in the rut and the little guys are quite often hanging out. You'll even see them tagging along with a big bull. Once the rut gets going they will be batchleor, because the bigs guys have chased them off. This has been my experience and I have been as successful as anyone with these guys and more than most. Take it for what its worth.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

There is no hard and fast rules of what works or doesn't I have had little bulls come into my bull call and cow call equally, sometime they are with a cow and sometime not. I have seen them late in the season with a mature bull and had both come to the call. In calf season I switch up my calling and have cows with calves come in. I am a caller so as far as the other methods I cannot offer too much info. Last year second week in Oct. had a 2x2 come in with a cow and took him, 3 days before a 3x3 was with a hugh bull both came in and sparred 50 feet from me. Bottom line for me is calling works, find an area they are using ie: feeding, moving through, you should look for a high (moose) traffic area.

Huey; spike/forks live where other moose live. So where moose are spike forkers are.
    Kamloops has a spike/fork moose season. Kamloops also has spike/fork bull moose.
    I call the moose closer during rut period in Kamloops area from Sept 28th to October 10th. (peak of breeding)
    Spike/forks are last years calves so mamma moose goes in heat October 1st til the 9th and she could pull in a bull moose or up to three bull moose coming in around her overnight when she moans a long inviting love song.
    Junior who has a fork on one side gets pushed away by momma moose when a big bull comes a courtin. She wants a little alone time with Mr Bull. (Get the picture)?
    For two days or so Mr. Big bull courts cow. Meantime in the shadows peeking from behind some willow is little lonely spike crying again. Waaaaaaaaah Waaaaaaaaaaah.
    Look in the trees behind all cows. For junior.
    If you lived in Kamloops you could pick me up on the N.shore and if you got a truck we go out huntink. I call moose. Jelly-call-moose-over-u-shoot!

Just remember that 1 in 40 bull moose is a legal immature odds are not that great. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by porkypine View Post
    Just remember that 1 in 40 bull moose is a legal immature odds are not that great. good luck
    Yeah, but it's usually the spikes that are dumb enough to stand there in a cutblock while you make sure they are in fact legal.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by porkypine View Post
    Almost as good as getting an LEH!!

hi i just want to clarify, when it says in the regs. Spike-fork Bulls, does it mean that you can kill any bulls right down to the young spike-fork ones; or does it mean you can only kill the immature ones and not the mature bigger bulls? tia for the replies