Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunting north of Prince George

Moose Hunting north of Prince George

Does anybody know how the moose hunting around Prince George has been this year

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Hunting north of Prince George

Theres no moose in or around PG...they moved to Clearwater
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Nice!
    However I would get a second opinion.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Nothing wrong with the moose hunting around Prince George. Lots of blocks though, and lots of choices for the moose to browse in. Lots of choices means they could be anywhere. Good spots are typical, swamps lakes, willows. Tons of roads to drive on, some better than others watch for deactivations!! Atv restictions in MU 7-01-7-15, so I would look at the mu's from 7-16 and higher, no atv restrictions. 7-16, and 7-23 have the extended calf moose season till the end of October I believe (I would check the synopsis though!) Excellent moose hunting in 7-16, north of the mcgregor river, and 7-17 south of the mcgregor river. 7-23 is some fine moose hunting along the parsnip river, and up any of the table, Hominka parsnip anzac or reynolds drainages. Lots of really cool mountain senery, rivers, and tons of places to camp! Any Mu's close to prince george are inundated with road hunters especially around calf season! It actually is kinda nuts for 2 weeks!! Good luck!! Se yah out there!! Moosin lookin for moose!!

7-24 north of PG is also outside the ATV restriction zone (7-7 to 7-15) and is just across the highway from 7-16. This M-U is large with an very extensive road network with cut blocks and moose everywhere! Some very big bulls in this M-U; however the calf season is not extended like in 7-16/7-23. Moosin, the new calf season is actually extended to the start of October and not the end of the month (Oct 1-25). I think I know where all the moose hunters will be come Oct 1!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by jml11 View Post
    7-24 north of PG is also outside the ATV restriction zone (7-7 to 7-15) and is just across the highway from 7-16. This M-U is large with an very extensive road network with cut blocks and moose everywhere! Some very big bulls in this M-U; however the calf season is not extended like in 7-16/7-23. Moosin, the new calf season is actually extended to the start of October and not the end of the month (Oct 1-25). I think I know where all the moose hunters will be come Oct 1!
    Yes sir right on the money man!! I have found 7-24 to be pretty busy too!! Lots of moose that is for sure!! Good luck!! Moosin

I would suggest east of the city... Purden, Bowron, Beaver, etc. Not many new cuts out there, the bush/plantations are quite thick.... so tough to hunt. I would find a fairly open area and sit and call. IMO, there's a healthy moose population out that way. There's a fairly healthy wolf population out there as well, don't let them walk by without sending some lead.
    Cheers

In answer to your question in how the hunting has been, well it's been slow due to the warm weather but the bulls are rutting and are coming to calls quite easily. One buddy has run into all kinds of bulls already but doesn't have a bull LEH unfortunately. I only know of one immature taken so far.

Thanks for the replys, I typically hunt 7-24 when I come up that way. That is the area my draw is in as well. How are the whitetail and mulie populations doing in 7-24

only seen whitetails in the very southern portion of 7-24 around slamon valley and in the very northen portion by the Pack River and they have always been pretty small bucks. Haven't seen too many mulies and never seen a buck in there. I don't really hunt 7-24 though so other guys may have more knowledge on where to find the deer.