Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of using wood?

Benefits of using wood?

I have been shooting the Beeman 500gr BowHunter Carbon arrows on a short recurve bow. But I'll be getting my new bow today or tomorrow. Its a 62" 60# @ 30" Checkmate Hunter TD. I draw about 27.5" so my friend Jamie figures I will be pulling about 54-55lbs. Jamie obviously knows what he's talking about and I have yet to see a single carbon arrow in his house. Beyond being a traditionalist what are the real benefits of using wooden arrows? My primary interest is deer hunting and small game until Im competent to move on to maybe elk or moose once my skill has evolved, but my secondary concern will be 3-D shooting as that seems almost as addictive as hunting. I guess I would just like to hear if there are any technical benefits to shooting wood in the field or should I just stick with the cheap carbons til I stop losing arrows in the broom and brush?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Benefits of using wood?

Stick with carbons for now as they are cheap and easy to build. Once you build your own woods it is like loosing a loved one if you break or loose a woody. Boo hoo!

I shoot a bow very similar to your new one. Personally I use aluminum arrows.
    I like a little heavier arrow because I feel it gives you better down range energy and therefore penetration. Wood should have the same advantage over light carbon arrows. The disadvantages of wood that I've used is that it can be affected by wet weather. There might be others reasons but I'm not a Techy. One thing about wood ,if you get into making your own arrows, is it's easy to personalize and I've seen some arrows that are works of art. Also has that traditional feel.

Bow Walker Guest

Check these shafts out...they satisfy the "need" for wood - but have all the advantages of carbon, ie; toughness, durability, straightness, trust worthiness, etc.

http://www.goldtip.com/products/fami...&rnd=244032445

I'm waiting for The Hermit to see and respond here. He uses carbons and has inserted weight into the shaft before building his arrows. Claims it works like the cat's Pj's.

There is nothing like a finely tuned wood arrow! I prefer wood because they are heavier, and thus absorb more energy from the limbs upon release, translating into a quieter shot. I will take a quieter bow over a fast one any day of the week. Plus they don't make as much noise rattling in a back quiver.

I bought 2 dozen 11/32 Cedar shafts today, managed to get 8 that were the 65 that I wanted and 12 that were between 66-70. cut the nock and tip points into them and started to stain them this afternoon. Im using tru-oil and so far after 4 coats they look beautiful. When I get back from the UBBC shoot in Campbell River Im going to start gluing on the fletching. I dont see how carbon arrows could be cheaper. The beeman's I am buying from Peter's Sports are 8.98$ each. The Port Orford cedar shafts were 2$ a piece, then $.38 for the field point, $.29 for the nock and $1.10 for the fletching- $3.77 each- $74.14 for 20 field tip wood shafts, the same amount of carbons would be 180$ am I missing something or is it that Im just not paying myself for my time?

To me its just a personal preference. I only use alum and wood.

As to your comment "My primary interest is deer hunting and small game until Im competent to move on to maybe elk or moose once my skill has evolved", if you are good enough a shot to harvest cleanly a deer or small game you are also a good enough to shoot large game.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
    I bought 2 dozen 11/32 Cedar shafts today, managed to get 8 that were the 65 that I wanted and 12 that were between 66-70. cut the nock and tip points into them and started to stain them this afternoon. Im using tru-oil and so far after 4 coats they look beautiful. When I get back from the UBBC shoot in Campbell River Im going to start gluing on the fletching. I dont see how carbon arrows could be cheaper. The beeman's I am buying from Peter's Sports are 8.98$ each. The Port Orford cedar shafts were 2$ a piece, then $.38 for the field point, $.29 for the nock and $1.10 for the fletching- $3.77 each- $74.14 for 20 field tip wood shafts, the same amount of carbons would be 180$ am I missing something or is it that Im just not paying myself for my time?
    probably cheaper because once you start building them, you can't stop buying new toys for it.

Wood is all that I have really ever shot out of my curve, mostly because I just love building the things. Something about a personalized wooden arrow that just does it for me.

Evo. You should straighten the shafts a few times over the course of a week or so to get them as straight as you can. Some may not stay straight and have to discard them, hopefully not.

Of the first three I made, they all seemed to shoot well in my yard. But when the best one went right through my target as well as through the plastic chair holding it up, its no longer serviceable. After 6 or hours fiddling around with these shafts I felt kind of sad when it got screwed up. Oh well ship happens. Anyways time to glue another feather.