Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our fantastic week of hunting!!!

Our fantastic week of hunting!!!

So Georgia and I only managed 1 week off work this sept. and decided to make the most of it! We left friday night headed north for elk, but took a major detour and drove out to some mountains where I took a nice alpine muley many years ago! Sat morning We hoofed it into the alpine, It hadnt changed a bit in 10 years. As soon as we busted into the open I spot a nice tall symetrical 4x4 still in full velvet, out about 500 yards. Georgia prepared to drop him if he came into range while I videotaped him. He seemed curious about us and came in to 300 yards before veering off and making his way over top of the highest peek. He was a little to far for her comfort and bit to small for my tag!

We hiked and glassed our butts off, saw lots of nice country!

The weather was perfect, the view was awesome, but we didnt see any other deer that day.

We did see a couple other hunters coming in from the other end of the range so we decided to book it off the mountain and head north for elk!
    Last edited by mark; 09-22-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Our fantastic week of hunting!!!

Day 2 we arrived in our elk camp, hooked up with "Caveman" and "Justin 07" and their dads. (All elk virgins) The first morn I sent everyone in the right direction and everyone had elk action, I had 2 bulls going, and closed the gap down to 50 yards on a pretty good one but it wast good enough for Georgia to get a good shot. Caveman on the other hand smacked a nice lil 4 pointer for his first elk! On the eve of day 3 I pulled in another bull but he came in so carefully and quiet we only had a far and narrow shot through the aspens so I decided to put him down!

Tis the smallest elk so far for me but at least it was bigger than Gregs!
    After that the weather got warm, the elk clammed up and the hunting wasnt so hot for a few days. We were hiking far and hard into the best areas Ive ever found in 15 years of hunting the area.

On day 6 our luck changed again!
    Ironically, Georgia made the game plan to return to a spot where we saw a bull. We did exactly as she wanted and began to bugle, Ill be dammed if a bull didnt start running our way, he got hung up at 80 yards with cover, but a few lil squeeks and grunts and he figured he could whip my but. At 50 yards I stopped him broadside and she nailed him in the spine with her 30.06 given to her from her grangfather, and she had her first elk!!!

That seemed to bring luck to our camp. The next morn, Justins dad bagged a cow elk, then the following eve he got a nice 5x5 also! That made for 5 elk in our camp in 5 days, all other camps I visited only had 1. Twas a great time!
    OK IM DONE!

Last edited by mark; 09-22-2008 at 09:21 PM.
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Nice trip Mark! Way to go with the elk, looks like the pine river area, well anyhow congrats.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

hell of a nice way to spend your one week off,nice pics congrats

Looks great!!

Also looks liek you had nice weather for the most part.

Congrats to all!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Tis the smallest elk so far for me but at least it was bigger than Greg's
    Smart Ass!!!!

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

well done bud...GREAT ACTION..

Steven

cool pic's ,congrats on the dump truck full of elk
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

Awesome!

Wow, you guys slayed them!! Sweet lookin' trip. Now you can hold out for that HAWG of a muley...