Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Energy??

Exclamation Green Energy??

Just wondering re: opinions on potential impacts to alpine and wilderness experiences. Hunters and anglers give back more than any other sector to conservation - but we'd better start paying attention or the things we value could be affected.
    Last edited by deer nut; 01-04-2015 at 01:09 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Green Energy??

You don't think they do an environmental impact assessment....they have to conform to MoE & MoFR legislation and regulation....come on.
    Yes, variances are made to cross through WHA, UWR, OGMA etc... but the area is added onto another portion of that very same UWR ect. that was effected...
    VIA's (Visual Impact Assessments) must also be carried out....
    While we are at it....AIA's (Archaeological Impact Assessments) are also completed.
    Do you even know what you are talking about or just shooting your mouth off....
    Last edited by Wildman; 09-18-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Unhappy Re: Green Energy??

What good does it do to conduct an assessment on each little project if you're not looking at the big picture?
    Last edited by deer nut; 01-04-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Sounds like you're just eating up the NDP propaganda. Like Wildman says, these projects each have to undergo Environmental impact assessments which when carried out takes into effect the surrounding environment including other power projects in the area.

These are some of the facts at play, and while they may seem obvious, please consider them.

-The province's population is growing faster than the electrical capacity.
    -These projects are moving forward because we NEED the electricity, period, endstop.
    -To get electricity, we need powerlines that come from power plants.
    -Power plants need some form of energy to generate electricity. We can either build coal, natural gas, or nuclear plants...or we can make an effort to move toward renewable power production.
    -BC hydro has neither the capacity nor the capital to fund multiple hydro projects, which is why they are being funded by private enterprise.
    -Private enterprise needs some sort of contract and assurance with the province for the use of the resource. Would you expect any business to invest a large amount of capital in a project without any assurance of proffitability?

I am in no way affiliated with this industry, but to me it seems like the best way to meet the energy and environmental challenges facing our province (and world) as we continue to grow.

All valid points....I am not saying we don't need these things, but we need to retain some controls over our resources!
    Last edited by deer nut; 01-04-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Who controls the access?

Who controls the water?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

As far as I am aware; the VIA's are cumulative...they include any current/past logging, roads etc...However, it depends on whether there is a visual polygon attached to it though...some places do not.
    Though there are so many projects in the works...I am going to guess that only a small fraction will ever go ahead.
    There is a 30 day consultation period whereas the public is notified on the plan. I am not entirely sure how that works in regards to being able to reject a project.
    in this day in age.....environmental issues are addressed, not swept under the mat, or hidden. They have to be. If they are not sufficiently addressed and planned; there is no project.
    Sure there could be more stringent rules and regs....but there will never be another Red Stripe Mountain.
    Sorry if I seemed a bit snotty, for lack of a better word, I just don't believe that these projects are being miss-managed.
    You can never take too small of steps when dealing with these new uncharted territory type projects...lets hope the govt feels the same, I believe they do; or we will have another oil sands type raping like what is happening in AB.

Gatehouse: you've hit the nail on the head.
    Last edited by deer nut; 01-04-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Sounds like you're just eating up the NDP propaganda. Like Wildman says, these projects each have to undergo Environmental impact assessments which when carried out takes into effect the surrounding environment including other power projects in the area.

These are some of the facts at play, and while they may seem obvious, please consider them.

-The province's population is growing faster than the electrical capacity.
    -These projects are moving forward because we NEED the electricity, period, endstop.
    -To get electricity, we need powerlines that come from power plants.
    -Power plants need some form of energy to generate electricity. We can either build coal, natural gas, or nuclear plants...or we can make an effort to move toward renewable power production.
    -BC hydro has neither the capacity nor the capital to fund multiple hydro projects, which is why they are being funded by private enterprise.
    -Private enterprise needs some sort of contract and assurance with the province for the use of the resource. Would you expect any business to invest a large amount of capital in a project without any assurance of proffitability?

I am in no way affiliated with this industry, but to me it seems like the best way to meet the energy and environmental challenges facing our province (and world) as we continue to grow.
    I agree with Ryan here....very valid points. These are our 'greenest' energy solutions...much better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Sorry if I seemed a bit snotty, for lack of a better word, I just don't believe that these projects are being miss-managed.
    Wildman: I value your opinion.

I love the alpine and just hope there are some areas retained in their natural state - we can always develop them later....

I must also say, being new to this forum, that I am impressed by the quality of the posts!
    Last edited by deer nut; 01-04-2015 at 09:56 AM.