Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sherlock Bones "....

"Sherlock Bones "....

I was asked by a new hunter to accompany him to the scene of a crime..seems like he shot a decent buck his first..and didnt know how badly he hit the buck however he went to the "scene of the crime" and found some blood not much,so came home and asked for my assistance..

I went back with him now late in the afternoon..and saw where he was standing when he shot..85 yard shot with .308..(used the Leica with him standing in for the buck..saw "some blood..looked like good blood trail in an open firebrush and yellow grass..18" high..followed the blood through the trees maybe 50 yards.. and saw the blood tracks "meander" and then a bed..with considerable blood congealed....definatly SHOULD have been the end of the story....it certainly was the end of that deer...however there were more prints...human type...and a pick up (too big for ATV) sems the buck was now BUCKNAPPED...

The hours since shooting and the temp probably meant the individuals found the animal ..with no-one around and "salvaged" the game????

elementry my dear Watson.....elementry..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "Sherlock Bones "....

So then who cuts the tag?

Im not sure....

He didnt find the deer..so what does Allen put his tag on ???The "others " have the deer they would need it tagged????I dont actually know the legalities...

steven

He doesn't have to cut his tag,m the animal was never recovered...shame that someone stole his deer.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I don't know the legalities either... but I'd agree and think that he wouldn't need to cut a tag. Just hope the thieves get stopped and inspected! A frustrating experience for sure!

Yes, but if inspected and the thieves have a tag. Did they need to cut it?
    Shoot first, answer questions later.

I think your friend should have made some attempt to find the buck that he was capable of shooting. You have made it sound like a fairly simple recovery. Pulling the trigger is always easy.

I agree with Gate..tag what deer??

My "new aquantance " seemed very tentative ..perhaps afraid to spook a wounded animal...??Just didnt seem to know what and how to do next..

Hmm yes pretty easy.maybe some experience helps..however do-able...

No comment on the guys that "found " a dead buck..and what they did or were thinking however no one was around and there is a dead deer in the field....

Ive lost big game in the past...

Steven

I found a badly wounded whitey once. As soon as I saw it and realised it was wounded I finished it off and then yelled a bunch to see if the person who shot it was anywhere around. No one came or called back so I tagged it and hauled it off home. I don't think that was a bad thing IMHO.
    Kim

Phoenix and maybe that is what happened here ???

I havnt had exactly that happen so I havnt had to think what i would do...

Steven

ps good point...