Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: distance

BCHunter Guest

distance

whats a good distance to sight my scope onto? I have a 150 crossbow

thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: distance

I sight mine to 65 yds, know where it hits at all intermediate points in between, like 15, 30, 45, and 65. You should not have any problems, just practice and practice, be aware of crosswinds and the effects.

BCHunter Guest

thanks Ringo.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

My buddy just got an Excalibur Exo-Max the other day. On about the 50th shot the string flew off and we are now worried about the limbs. He called Excalibur and they said send the limbs and string back ASAP and they will replace immediately. Good service although still puzzling as to why it happened to begin with.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

BCHunter Guest

this is my crossbow:

RC-150 (With Kit & Reticle Scope)

$470.25; In Store; 18028

The RC-150 is the perfect bow for many situations. Hunters who need a crossbow with an adjustable rear stock, or a hunter who wishes to carry a mere 5.7 pounds of crossbow around will prefer the RC-150. The traditional straight limbs combined with the “Veloci-Speed” wheel, synthetic cable and string system provide 260 feet per second of hunting power.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunter
    whats a good distance to sight my scope onto? I have a 150 crossbow
    Well, you should NOT shoot anything with a crossbow past 40 yards. The time between the twang and the arrow impact starts getting dicy at that point (I've seen video of whitetails jumping the string for a clean miss at 30 yards), as does the potential for wind, minor arrow imperfections, and a million other things to throw off a shot that you can make at the range with your eyes closed. Your arrow is also loosing gobs of kenetic energy at those ranges, which you need lots of KE for a clean kill.

So, 40 yards being your max, I would set the scope for spot-on at 30. At 40, you'll aim about 6-8 inches high, and at 20 you'll aim about 4-6 inches low. Play with this for about 25 shots at the range, and you'll be ready for anything. If you've got a multi-recticle, then zero the long hairs at 40, and work your way in from there.

As a crossbow hunter myself (admitedly a new one), I won't take a shot much (if any) over 30 yards.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

BCHunter Guest

thats what i was just told at Boorman Archery here in New West...I just spent $96!

has anyone here seen those animal targets? i bought 10

Danny, What weight bolt are you shooting out of this crossbow? This combined with the speed the bow is getting and the broadhead you choose will determine how far you should shoot at game (provoiding you are proficient at that range). I would agree that 40 yards would probably be the outer limits, with a cut on contact head being a very good idea.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

BCHunter Guest

100gr Wasp's

I use a Horton on a Horton bow, works for me. I use a Barnett PrimeCut 125 head.
    Last edited by ringo; 08-30-2005 at 05:08 PM.