Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Out!

Help Me Out!

Hey everyone, this is my first post on your forum.

My name is Taylor, I live in Southwestern Ontario, and just started the sport of archery. As I am still quite young (19 this fall), I figured it would be best to get as much information out of as many knowlegable people regarding my future sport as possible (before I get into bad habits).

Ever since my first rubber band/stick bow in grade two, I've been fascinated with Archery. Whether it be reading about the history of it, attemping to make my own bow (a two month endevour which ended in me almost losing an eye), or shooting a poorly made arrow (with duct tape fletching) out of my bamboo stick bow (strung with weed whacker line) into the siding of a neighbours house, I've always been interested in it.

Recently I've become independant, driven, and wealthy enough to actually get into the sport. I purchased a 30# @ 28" one piece fibreglass bow from Canadian Tire this past spring, and started shooting. After realizing that fibreglass arrows (they came with the bow) were too heavy, I set out to buy some better ones.

My quest for arrows brought me to a local Archery Shop. From the moment I walked in the door, I knew I had found a goldmine. The walls were lined with bows, crossbows, camoflauge, arrows, targets; all the things you people use regularily.

I bought a few arrows, but was not satisfied with the spine weights or fletching (I did some reading on the subject), so I figured,

"Screw it, I'll just make my own."

Hundred some odd dollars later, I've got myself a nice fletching operation. I've made twenty four cedar arrows so far, and (as I type this) am currently fletching three more.

Practicing regularily in my backyard between shifts, my arrows gradually found their way into tighter patterns within the target's centre rings, I realized I could only get so good with my cheap fibreglass bow (now worth less than my arrows).

After recieving a hefty paycheck from Canadian Tire, I headed back to the Archery shop. The guys there let me test a few bows within my budget. The first bow they strung for me was a Chek Mate Attila, 46# @ 28". My first shot, at 15 yards, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GOLD. I felt nothing in my bow arm (compared to the brutal shock of the fibreglass bow), and the arrow sailed straight to the target (because of the shelf on the Chek Mate, I no longer was shooting around the bow). After trying a few more weights and models, I eventually went with the Attila.

So, here I am -- fletching some heavier arrows for my new bow, browsing the internet when I find your forum. After typing out my life story (which you have just read), I ask that you tell me everything I should know about shooting a traditional recurve bow.

My final goal is to harvest a wild turkey next spring, and I want YOU to help me get there. So please, share any info you can on recurve bows, stance, practice routines, arrow matching, camoflauge, instinctive shooting, wild turkey, fletching, stretches, morals, whatever you want to type, I will gladly read (and hopefully put into practice).

Thanks,

Taylor.

(PS: In the future, I promise not to type books)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Help Me Out!

I dunno much to tell ya in the way of advice, I'm a crossbow shooter myself, never was very good with a u-pull-it, but I thought I'd give ya a welcome anyway.

So, Welcome to The Place (virtual handshake).
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Ever since my first rubber band/stick bow in grade two, I've been fascinated with Archery. Whether it be reading about the history of it, attemping to make my own bow (a two month endevour which ended in me almost losing an eye), or shooting a poorly made arrow (with duct tape fletching) out of my bamboo stick bow (strung with weed whacker line) into the siding of a neighbours house, I've always been interested in it.
    First off, that is once of the greatest introductions I have ever read!

Second, to the sport of archery:
    I have shot instinctive recurve, and compound. Shoot lots, thats the most important thing with trad bows. I am by far not qualified to instruct on an instictive bow, so I won't go any farther than that.

this sight is great, and is frequented by many talented archers, and most any question you ask should be answered. However, if your looking for a more dedicated sight to archery, you can check out www.bowzone.ca

You can also check into 3-D shoots/clubs, these are a wealth of knowledge, and there are always people willing to help out a new shooter.
    Good luck, with the turkey, and with the addiction.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

If you can't get your questions answered here or at bowzone I'd recommend archerytalk.com as another option.

Welcome from me too Taylor. Another good site for info and a place where one can ask questions without being grilled and burned(and this site is real fine too,don't ban me Marc,please ) would be the Bushnell Outdoors site at www.davewatson.com . It is mostly american but there is is a pretty fair representation of Canadian hunters and archers there. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

ex bc guide Guest

Welcome to a good site, I am sure that you will find all the info you will need here.
    Mike

Welcome to the sight, I can't say I'm not that knowledgeable in the field though I shoot a compound pse and thoroughly enjoy it, but I know with this sight you'll find the answers.

Taylor Welcome to the sight, good intro !!! I am a compound shooter myself but my wife has started shooting recurve and has gotten advice from some former canadian champs.
    PRACTICE< PRACTICE PRACTICE. These guys say start at a set yardage and shoot, shoot shoot until it is 2nd nature, then move back 5 yards maybe only to 15 yards and shoot, shoot ,shoot until it is natural and in a 4" circle. Then another 5 yards etc.
    Greybeard on here is an excellent recurve shooter and may offer lots of advice as well.
    Again... welcome to the sight ... MIKE
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Yea, thanks for all the welcome guys. I've recently been practicing with my new Chek Mate bow (the one stated in the Intro). Since I just switched over from that crappy fibreglass bow, I'm finding it a lot more powerful.

As a whole, my shots are quite a bit better, hitting the yellow and red circles from 15 yards most of the time. The only thing is, occasionally, I'll have a shot that goes WAYYY off the board. I'm talking not even in the target. I never used to have this problem with my weaker bow, and I can't figure out why some shots are so extremely varied. My stance, draw and all that remain constant, so I can't figure out why a shot like that would go so off the mark. Could it be my fingertab? It's getting pretty old and worn.

Oh, and the arrow that goes way off is different each time.

- Taylor

PS: Kirby, I've been to Kamloops a few times to spend the summer. Gorgeous place!

Taylor........ those shots are called BRAIN FARTS.. don't know why but it happens to all bow shooters. MIKE
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills