Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Labradors

Let's Talk Labradors

so, i'm really wanting to get a dog some day. i'm single, and chances are, it'll stay that way for awhile, due to career paths, so i figure a dog would make a great companion.

i want to do plenty of research before hand. i've kind of settled on the Labrador Retriever breed. i chose them because i've heard their temperament is great, they train well, and are good hunters. one of my debates is what sub-breed (correct classification?). black, yellow, or chocolate? my buddy has a chocolate lab that's super hyper. i don't want a real hyper dog. another buddy has a yellow lab, and he's very quiet and reserved. i don't know much about the black labs, but i love the looks of them.

i want my dog to be active enough to have energy for retreiving game, playing a game of fetch, wrestling around a bit, but also calm enough to sit on the couch and watch a movie with me, sit in a boat calmly, not tear up the house when i'm gone or bark his head off all the time. the dog will be hunting waterfowl, upland game birds and fishing with me.

i know alot of this will come through training, but what sub-breed would be best suited to this?

another debate i'm having is whether to buy a puppy or get a dog that's grown up a bit and maybe housetrained already. i know that stuff like training is easier when they are a puppy, but they require almost 24/7 watching for the first couple months. i can't really take that much time off work. a week or so to accustom a dog to my house and such i could manage.

don't get me wrong, i'm not going to get a dog and neglect it. it will be my constant companion when i'm not at work. it'll ride in the truck with me, hunt and fish with me, run and bike with me, play with me, watch movies with me and help me fix my truck. basically, the dog will literally be my best friend. i just don't think i can afford the time to start with a puppy.

what are the difficulties in getting an older dog? will it still be trainable for hunting? will i be able to buy one that has good lines?

what else should i know about both puppies and older dogs? what should i know about Labradors in general?

remember, i have time on my side, and i'm not rushing into a decision to buy a dog. i want to make the right choice, so that me and that dog can have a great time together for a long time.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Let's Talk Labradors

hmmm had labs for 30 years..black ....yellow ....chocolat..they are colors not different breeds...I have had both males and females blacks and yellows..I MUCH prefer females that are fixed..and personal preferance is black in color

get a PUPPY, 6 weeks is max or min..you should be able to train it for potty trips in 3 days...

its NOT the dog..its the OWNER..you get out what ya put in..lots of love and affection...perfect companion..the problem areas of any dog reflect the deficiencies of its training,its owner..and usually are a result of too little tiem and not trying to speed up the training by force..consistency IS key to any good dog/owner relationship..
    barking, jumping agreesivness..are all different deficiencies in the owners training of their pet.

best of luck

Steven

hey hows it going i just got my black lab female last year had her retrieving ducks at 4 months not the best but she would bring them back to me loves the shot gun and now i can't leave the house with out her if you want im breader is having more pups should be ready in october she's from the island and will fly the dogs any where the mom is a black lab and the dad is a yellow if you want more info pm me and i'll let you know more
    kk here is a couple pics of sitka
    I've hunted almost everday of my life the rest has been wasted

spend some money and buy richard woolters books either gun dog or water dog. this will help immensely.available at cabelas.and as srupp said time spent and consistancy are the key.dont let the dog rule you as you are the alpha dog .had labs of all colours all my life and colour is just a preferance.spend some time with the litter if you get a pup and observe who is most dominant and who is most submissive and pick in between,this can also be determined buy holding them upside down and see which squirms the most or least.sheryl young in mission is the lab rescue lady and has dogs most of the time. i got one from her 15 yrs. ago and after a couple of months of time it was probably one of if not the best dog i have had......fowl

One suggestion is to spend time with your new pup at a trainers together. It is important for your dog to have consistency in commands and expectations. It also is a great way for you to see how a professional does it. My dad "rescued" a chocolate lab pup that was a year old and spent the first year of his life chained to a tree in the yard. He started out with my dad as a dog on crack... super hyper and just plain stoked to be around someone, anyone who would pay attention. It took a good 6 weeks of training and consistency, but he turned out great. He still is high energy, but is obedient. After seeing that transition, anything is possible. He is a great dog, and loves people. He also will listen to commands consistently.

If I could have a dog, I would go with a lab. I grew up with golden retrievers, and still enjoy them, but the shorter hair on the labs is a significant benefit for keeping them clean coming from the field.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

beautiful lab KK looks just like our Morgan..labs temperment is such that they will put up with INCREDIBLE PAIN..they WILL do anything and everything while injured in an attempt to PLEASE....they are THE MOST loyal of pets..and for the past 10 years have been voted the # 1 dog choice..

problems with labs..well with the drop over ears they are prone to ear infections get epiotic etc and keep em washed and shiney clean..ALSO the two glands sacs on the inside of the rear end tend to plug up and if not delt with may rupture $$$$$ causing a split on the offending side of the anus requiring some $$$ ..the dog will start to lick their bum when it gets uncomfortable..IF trained its a home do it your self job..k-y rubber glove and some paper towel..

TIP..when you get your puppy..YOU are the alpha male..NEVER repeat a command..one command no raising your voice..then IMMEDIATLY go help the puppy be obedient...

Also from DAY one TOUCH YOUR PUPPY EVERYWHERE...EVERYWHERE... helps for vets visits or just grooming or injuries..VERY IMPORTANT...EVERYWHERE.....
    Also introduce the pup to other dogs and humans..when your pup is on lead and meets another people..train the pup to imediatly STOP AND SIT..stop and sit means quieter disposition = no big deal to the pup and more importantly a sitting dog is not a jumping up on people dog..very very important social grace..

Bathroom tricks are easy to get the puppy potty trained...awww however getting them to FLUSH is a bit harder lol..
    I have some great potty tricks...for ensuring your pup lets YOU know when its potty time and EXACTLY WHERE TO GO POTTY no burnt lawns or unpleasant landmines to discover..

cheers

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 09-04-2008 at 10:23 AM.

thanks for all the info guys. alot of it lines up with reading i've been doing. so you guys figure i could be ok with getting a puppy, even though i can't keep an eye on it all the time for more than the first week? how did you guys train the dogs for potty trips?
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

If you have time to look around one option is to check out your local shelter. I volunteer at one and have seen a few dogs that I think would make excellent hunting companions. I have seen more than a few dogs that seem purebred as well. Check them out, but you might want to keep your hunting plans to yourself. Not everyone gets that being a hunting dog is a great life for the right dog.

I have two shelter dogs. One is a Lab Cross (well, crossed with a Great Dane, so he is a bit of a monster) and, as best as I can tell, a purebred Golden retriever. I have hunted with the lab and he is not bad, but I can't wait to take the retriever out this year. I think she will be excellent.

HMMM after 30 years PLUS with LABS..I AM an expert..

Steven

I would check the pound out for your first dog, that way you can get one that is possibly already started training and you can go spend some time with the dog before you accept them,
    with my dog i went to the pound for a year every weekend untill i found billy, then i started going in on my lunch break and after work to walk him and play with him an know that he was the dog i wanted.
    i spent about 2 hours a day with him for 2 weeks before i took him home (i had to finish a fence before i could adopt him) Now i have the best dog for my family and myself i could ask for.